MBP/Leopard Sharing User Library (like iPhoto) Between Users?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kan-O-Z, May 19, 2008.

1. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I am finally upgrading my MBP from Tiger to Leopard. I want to share iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb, iMovie, etc between users on my MBP.

I had Tiger set up the way I wanted it using ACL and a /User/Shared folder. I simply had moved iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb and iMovie libraries there and it worked great.

I have played around a bit on Leopard and noticed that there is already a /User/Shared folder. I was hoping that this folder allowed for full read/write access for all users but it doesn't. I think there is a way to do this using the Sharing preferences but I'm not sure. I don't think using ACLs is the right answer?

Please let me know if you have done something like this and how you did it. Thanks in advance,

Kan-O-Z

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I doubt you used ACLs on Tiger (client), since it only supported POSIX permissions. But you can use the same concept on Leopard, or you can use ACLs, your choice. But the placement should be the same, /Users/Shared/.

3. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I set up the access in /Users/Shared so that multiple users can read and write to it?
    I was trying to get this set up on my in-laws MB (running Leopard). I moved the iphoto library to /Users/Shared. I could not access it from other accounts because iPhoto kept saying that iPhoto is locked or you do not have permissions to access this library. iPhoto was not running on any of the accounts either.

Kan-O-Z

4. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm surprised no one has done this? Anyone?

Kan-O-Z

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow