Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
I am finally upgrading my MBP from Tiger to Leopard. I want to share iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb, iMovie, etc between users on my MBP.

I had Tiger set up the way I wanted it using ACL and a /User/Shared folder. I simply had moved iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb and iMovie libraries there and it worked great.

I have played around a bit on Leopard and noticed that there is already a /User/Shared folder. I was hoping that this folder allowed for full read/write access for all users but it doesn't. I think there is a way to do this using the Sharing preferences but I'm not sure. I don't think using ACLs is the right answer?

Please let me know if you have done something like this and how you did it. Thanks in advance,

Kan-O-Z

Soulwar

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
Estero, FL
I am finally upgrading my MBP from Tiger to Leopard. I want to share iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb, iMovie, etc between users on my MBP.

I had Tiger set up the way I wanted it using ACL and a /User/Shared folder. I simply had moved iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb and iMovie libraries there and it worked great.

I have played around a bit on Leopard and noticed that there is already a /User/Shared folder. I was hoping that this folder allowed for full read/write access for all users but it doesn't. I think there is a way to do this using the Sharing preferences but I'm not sure. I don't think using ACLs is the right answer?

Please let me know if you have done something like this and how you did it. Thanks in advance,

Kan-O-Z
Have you tried changing permissions on the shared folder? (get info on folder-permissions)
Also, hold option while launching iTunes, iPhoto. It will allow you to choose a library to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.