MBP lid grates after drop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cagle, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Cagle macrumors regular

my mid 2010 macbook pro fell about 2 feet onto the floor and now the lid makes a faint grating noise when opened and closed. Looking at it carefully, I can’t see what is generating the friction but I have noticed that the black plastic hinge backing can be moved left and right, although I don’t know if this was the case before the drop. Is there anything that can be done to fix the grating, or am I stuck with it?

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Mine, which has never been dropped makes the same noise. Sort of like a swish sound when you open and close the lid. Nothing is binding, nothing is rubbing apart, I think it is just normal friction and I don't worry about it.

Chances are yours always made this noise but you are just noticing it now since you dropped it.

3. Cagle, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

Cagle thread starter macrumors regular

mine didnt make this noise before the drop, its a grating noise; i'd gladly take a swish noise over this sound.

does your black plastic hinge at the back, move from side to side when pushed gently?

4. ConnYoungy macrumors 6502a

the black cover on the hinge that you mentioned moves on mine as well, only about 1.5mm or so, never been dropped or even moved suddenly since i bought it last week, but if its all the way to the left or right it makes the sound youre referring to when i open & close the lid

just move the black covering slightly away from the aluminium!