Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman7002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hello! Sorry if this has already been posted, I couldn't find a posting about this.
I currently own a 2.4GHz MacBook Pro, purchased it about a week ago, and when I took it out of the box, the lid was warped, well about a week later (today) the warping has pretty much tripled since last Friday, and I am taking it back to the Apple Store for a replacement or refund.
My question is this, well actually a couple questions:
1. How common is the warping issue?
2. If a MBP is not warped when taken of the box for the first time, how long does it usually take for it to start warping?
3. Does the change of temperatures effect the warping, as the MacBook Pro is made with aluminum and metal expands and contracts with heating and cooling?

I am thinking I will just get it replaced, but I am also thinking of getting an iMac, something that won't warp. If you have any reasons to convince me to stay with the MacBook Pro, or go to the iMac, please tell me as I have until Sunday to decide. Thanks in advance!

macman7002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
That's odd, do you have any pictures?

Yup, I do have a picture but it is from Friday, my warping is like tripled now.
attachment.php

Attachments

• MBP3 copy.JPG
    MBP3 copy.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 410

Effortless

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
West Kent, UK
Yup, that looks damn near perfect to me!!

Mine is far, far worse, but you know what?? It doesn't worry me. The latches for the lid are right near the centre of the lid, where in engineering terms they might have been better placed.

Effortless.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
I agree. That lid looks better than most MBPs i have ever seen. I'd feel like i got a good one in that case =) Also if your screen is dead/stuck pixel free with good backlighting and color I would seriously reconsider wanting to take it back.:D

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
If that lid bothers you, get a refund... not a replacement
If you replace it, you will not be happy with ANY that you get

Maybe a MBP is not for you :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If that lid bothers you, get a refund... not a replacement
If you replace it, you will not be happy with ANY that you get

Maybe a MBP is not for you :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Looks far better than my PowerBook looked 4 weeks in. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

macman7002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
The picture was from Friday the 20th, and the gap has tripled in size since that Friday, that is why I am a little worried with it, because the warping has grown quickly. And another thing, that was my first image post so I kinda didn't know how to do it, but I will do it the other way next time.
Thanks for all the replies!

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
The picture was from Friday the 20th, and the gap has tripled in size since that Friday, that is why I am a little worried with it,

DO NOT open and close the lid by grabbing it on its right side, like you are doing. Grab it in the center or use both your hands.

For a few weeks open and close it using its left side :)

It's aluminum, it bends. It's not plastic.

thistle

macman7002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
DO NOT open and close the lid by grabbing it on its right side, like you are doing. Grab it in the center or use both your hands.

For a few weeks open and close it using its left side :)

It's aluminum, it bends. It's not plastic.

thistle

I do grab the center to open it, I always have done that even on my old iBook G3, but thanks anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.