MBP Lid Sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tadros86, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

I've had my MBP since July, it's the 2.4 GHz model. While using OS 10.4 Tiger I would close my laptop lid, it'd go to sleep and when I open the lid it'd wake up, but ever since I updated to Leopard this hasn't happened. I now close my lid everything shuts down then I hear it check to see if a disc is in the drive and it wakes up. I loved being able to close the lid it go to sleep, and then open it and it wake up. So I erased the HDD, put Tiger back on, closed the lid, IT WORKED! Yay problem solved, install Leopard, eh problem back. I erased the HDD again and just installed Leopard and didnt update from Tiger, same results. So I install Leopard on an external, sleeps and wakes up fine. The only time it doesn't work is when Leopard is installed on the MBP internal hard drive. Has anyone else had this same problem? I've went into terminal and changed the settings to "
    sudo pmset lidwake 0" as a temp fix, cause at least it goes to sleep when I close it now, but it doesn't wake up when I open it.

I've been on the phone with Apple care countless times, and they said they'd call me back when they find a fix, that was back around Thanksgiving. Has anyone had the same problem? They made it sound like they never heard of this happening before.

2. mrock macrumors member

There will be something waking it up. Do you leave it plugged into a USB device of some sort?

Maybe try killing running programs and then sleeping the macbook until you find it works?

3. Tadros86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tadros86

Nothing plugged in, nothing on the screen, only thing running is Dashboard in the background. Still when closing the lid it turns on. Turning off the Airport didn't work, resetting the PRam didn't work, and resetting power management didn't work.

4. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Leopard sleep on close: works for me

I have the same machine as you. 2.4 SR MBP with 4 gig.

When I close the machine (screen folded down to click lock) it sleeps. The light on the open button oscillates. When I press the screen release button, the mac "wakes up" and displayes the authentication dialog. (because I have it configured that way in the security control panel) and once I enter the authentication information, I am back to the same place I was when I closed the lid.

5. Tadros86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tadros86

I didn't say it doesn't work for anyone lol, I was asking if anyone ran into the same issue as I am having, cause it's not like I made it up for fun or something lol. Yea I think I am gonna call Apple Care today and see whats going on.

6. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I had a similar issue. Apple ended up needing to replace my logic board AND my hard drive. Since you're still under warranty, just take it into your nearest apple store to have it looked at.

7. geeserver macrumors newbie

geeserver

Same happens with my macbook pro. I notice that if I have my AC adapter unplug it WILL SLEEP. If I have the AC plugged in, it WILL NOT SLEEP.

Hope this helps...

8. spank2223 macrumors member

i have the same problem only some times though which makes it very frustrating. What should i do take into the apple store?