MBP lid too loose

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dusanv, Jul 18, 2009.

1. dusanv macrumors 6502

Any way to tighten the lid on my 17'' unibody MBP? It's too loose. Anybody call the geniuses with the same problem? Can I do it by myself?

Side note to anyone thinking about getting the Speck SeeThru hard case. I generally like it. Looks good and laptop doesn't run any hotter. Rubberized surface feels awesome. But it's not light (over 1 lb). So the loose lid feels even looser with it on.

2. ArchXyrho macrumors member

To be honest, if you have done something like this i don't see why not do it yourself but then if you never done it bring it to an Apple store because i heard from them that they can fix it for you. I am not sure if they will charge you anything so why don't you just give them a call?

3. tlauer1 macrumors newbie

If you take the bottom off of the computer then you have direct access to the hinges. My 15" has three Torx screws per hinge. Just pop it open and tighten them up.

4. dusanv thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't feel like cracking it open unless I'm 100% sure I'll be able to fix it. I can't find any confirmation on these forums that it had been done by anyone. I'll give the geniuses a call.

Thanks.

5. dusanv thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try that. Thanks.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Too loose" is subjective. Don't be surprised if the Genius tells you that it's within spec.