Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReneS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
Hello,

I am trying to repair a A1278 with liquid damage.

The MBP does not start.
I have 17V on the logic board from the charger.
so de DC-In looks ok.
Green light from the charge is blinking but with very very low intensity.

I found the LT3470A only giving 1.7V
And the output having only 5 ohms resistance to the GND.
Thats very low i believe.

Are there any suggestions on where to continue

Is there a schematic of the A1278 or from a MBP that looks very simular?

Thanks in Advance,

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Remove all the components in the main compartment, all of the components. Clean them all with appropriate cleaner (you can google this)

Replace the logic board and power board, you can't take chances with either one of those. This will probably cost you somewhere around $800-1500.

Test the hard drive in another machine to make sure it's fully operational.

Buy new RAM depending on how bad the spill was, if it was only a tiny bit then it should be fine. But still test it in another machine first.

EDIT: This might help you http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Unibody_Model_A1278

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

+1

Unless you have access to another machine for known good parts it's rarely cost efficient to repair one that took a bath. I usually scrounge them at work, marry one that had a broken screen to one that took a bath kind of scenario. While I admire your persistence you have to understand even Apple doesn't troubleshoot the boards to a component level, they just replace assemblies.

ReneS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
+1

Unless you have access to another machine for known good parts it's rarely cost efficient to repair one that took a bath. I usually scrounge them at work, marry one that had a broken screen to one that took a bath kind of scenario. While I admire your persistence you have to understand even Apple doesn't troubleshoot the boards to a component level, they just replace assemblies.

Since i work in the electronic design area i thought it would not be to hard to fix.
Since the liquid damage is pretty small.
But we will see.

Looking for a MBP with a broken screen is an option.

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
New leaf coming

Im always drinking coffee water while surfing with my MBP. That's about to change based on the threads I've read here. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.