MBP Logic Board Replacement Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sclough, Aug 1, 2008.

1. sclough macrumors regular

The Apple store sent my MBP off after I demonstrated the strange graphics problems so many of us have noted (text tearing in Safari, flashing white blocks in Finder, iPhoto, etc). Anyway, it came back with this:

The following services and/or replaement parts were used to service your product:
    605-1452 PCBA,MLB,2.4GHZ-THERM,M87

Now I'm assuming MLB means main logic board and that means they replaced it. My other question is, since I have the now infamous GeForce 8600M GT video card, was that replaced as well? My understanding is that the graphics cards are soldered onto the board so that would mean yes, right?

If so, does anyone know if the newer NVidia cards are ok? I'm trying to make myself feel better about this whole NVidia nightmare :) .

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

That's right.

The best way is stop thinking about it. Just use and enjoy your Mac :)

3. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

After spending this much money? I don't think so...

4. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

No kidding. When I showed it to the guy at the GeniusBar, I was nice but said this was a pretty big problem for a 2,000 laptop.

From now on I'm only thinking happy thoughts about the MBP :D

5. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

There is no reason to worry about things over which you have no real influence...

6. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

If my computer usage centered around surfing the internet and IM, I wouldn't be worried. Since I game a lot and do a lot of audio work, the computer gets a workout, especially the GPU with the gaming. I've had my motherboard replaced once...I'd love to have some kind of indication from Apple if the replacement unit is affected as well, but they're remaining tight-lipped. If it breaks, it better do it before my 3 years of Apple Care are up.

7. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

In my case, I went the cheap route and haven't bought the 3 year Apple care yet. This whole thing is making me think about getting it, but if I knew the new one I just got was supposed to be good I might not worry about it.