MBP Logic Board Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PS65, Nov 6, 2011.

1. PS65 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have just dropped my MBP (late 2008) to Apple following an issue that cause the occasional line to appear when using graphic intense programs. As my Apple Care expired in 2 day, that Genius said he would get the entire logic board replaced as the graphics card was attached to it.

My machine has been very well looked after and I am just wondering if Apple will actually put a new logic board in my machine or a repair/refurb. Is there any way I can check?

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I'm not sure if there's a way to check (afterwards) what has been used to repair the laptop.

3. IllIllIll macrumors 65816

Any particular reason why it matters? Just curious.

4. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Because when you spend £1700 on your computer, and c.£200 on care, and then it failes in 3 years after very light use....I'd be disappointed if they put used parts in my machine.

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

When the repair/replacement is done, they will tell you what was done (you may have to ask, but they will tell). They won't simply hand you your laptop and tell you to leave. As far as checking before your laptop is ready to pickup... not unless you call and pester them will you find out any details. BTW doing so does not put you on their good side; patience does however.

6. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

well i dont think they would go through the trouble of removing the graphics card from the old one just to put a new one on. i think they would just replace it.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

They just replaced logic board (not sure if they did) and they didn't say anything about it I have no idea if it is used or new one I just asked about logic board warranty he said it is good for 90 days but I stay there to test it before I leave the store…

8. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hence why I ask about the type of logic board replacement...

9. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - Previously they have never gone into much depth about the repair.

Not really concerned about being in their good books.

10. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Your serial number for the MacBook will change. The serial number is tied to the logic board. That is how you will know. Go under about this mac and compare serial numbers. If it is different it is a new logic board.

11. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

Quick question, how does this determine if it is 'New' or 'Refurbished'? Surely a refurbished unit would also assign a new serial?

12. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I Just had two logic boards replaced, my serial never changed either time.

13. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

It's somewhat random in my experience, they're supposed to set the serial number back to original, but don't always.

14. spacedrabbit macrumors member

No. Serial numbers are "burned" into the boards when they are replaced and they are always the same as the original. If they put the wrong one, the entire board needs to be replaced.

15. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

Not quite, the serial number is set with a boot cd, or at least used to be.

They forgot the set it for my old iMac ( I received it back with a dummy blank serial number ), and I managed to find the disk image and set it myself.

16. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

I suppose this doesn't really answer the question.

Can I tell if I have a brand new or refurbished logic board.

I spoke to Apple and his response was "We only use refurbished parts in our refurbished machines" - which, from reading the T&Cs, is complete rubbish.

Looks like I just need to ask the shop when I go to pick it up, and hope they actually tell me the correct information, rather than feed me the information I want to hear!

17. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

I'm not even sure if they'll know for sure, to be honest.

Chances are for a product that far out of manufacturing, it will be, though.

18. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not what I wanted to hear! Oh, better than having my graphics card fail outside of warranty!

I just hope this new logicboard lasts me longer than 3 years before I replace my machine!

19. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Not to make you paranoid but I did have my 2008 MBP logic board replaced 3 times due to the crappy graphics chip. Apple was great but I am not convinced they have fixed the issues with replacement boards. Maybe they are just hoping that the replaced board will last just long enough for you to buy a new MacBook and retire the older one.

20. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, thanks. Too late, I just posted a new thread asking for advice in respect of selling my machine.

I picked up the MBP this morning and the screen flicker a lot worse than it did before it went in repair. Very annoyed. They're on about replacing the screen now, which doesn't give me much confidence.

21. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

Hope it remains unfixed! a few more repairs and they'll give you a new laptop from current range.

----------

Also this is a late 2008 system, not the early ones, so no 8600gt, which was the big issue.

22. iMacC2D, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  23. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, was 8600gt the new card? I am very tempted to request a new model. Before anyone shoots me down, I am asking this because there is nothing in this machine that is original. It is just repairs now. I have never asked for this before, but I am tempted to request.

24. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

no, 9600 was the new, 8600 the old.

And I'm not sure what the official line is, but seems to be that after three repairs to same part they often offer it, doens't hurt to ask nicely though I guess.

25. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just had a call from the store manager.

They are going to replace the screen of my MBP.

Doesn't really leave anything left off the original. Refused to give me a new machine because it was 3 years old (even though AC has only just finished). Bit of a joke from this store's customer service.

Hardly a commercial decision from their perspective; £395 on a logic board, £300 on a screen. Surely if they gave me a new machine, and sold mine with a refurb they would have saved costs. I suppose that is why they work in retail....