MBP Logic board replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tej0, May 2, 2014.

1. Tej0 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    last week I spilled water in my MBP, fried logic board and lost the waranty. Official repair costs are enormous...you know the drill. So I refused replacement by authorised service. Now I´ve found offer on local auction site for MBP which cpu fan is running and also diode is blinking after turning up, but screen remains black. Are these signs of logic board failure or could it be only broken LCD? That dude sells it also as single parts, so I could buy only that logic board. But I´m afraid that its logic board is damaged too and It´s worthless. Any opinions?
    Cheers
    Teo

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

3. zsno macrumors member

It's likely that you will need more than just a logic board if liquid was exposed to the machine. That said, I'd stray away from any replacement parts that are exhibiting any weird symptoms of their own, you'd be running the risk of solving one problem with another. Also, if you're going to swap the logic board, ensure that the replacement is from the same exact model of machine. You'll also have issues with your serial number not displaying correctly within the OS if you swap the board.

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Is the serialiser software/program not available to the public on download somewhere.

Barney

5. zsno macrumors member

As far as I know, it's not. The serializer software also will only write a serial to a new board, not reserialize one. It's totally possible for it to, it just doesn't work that way anymore.