MBP loose HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hero887, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Hero887 macrumors member

Is it normal for the hard drive to be loose for example when I take the cover off and touch the HD it is a bit loose when I pull the plastic tab and I can hear it move a bit when I am carrying it sometimes. I have ignored this as it doesn't really bother me but the other day I was looking at my friends unibody Macbook and his HD was really tight and didn't move. But his is smaller this its a macbook and not a mbp. I tried tightening the screws but they don't seem to want to move anymore. thanks UPDATE they have offered to replace the main casing but is it sate as it seems like a big job. So l just called this and they said its the only way as exchanges are only allowed within 2 weeks and l have had mine for 8 weeks.

2. gjw4u macrumors 6502

If Your MBP is still under warranty, bring it in to an Apple Store and have them sort it out.:)

3. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks, hopefully they won't have to replace my machine because I don't wanna lose all my data etc

4. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

It should be snug. Mind you those little rubber feet on the side of the hard drive are meant to absorb a fall if one ever should occur.

How loose are we talking? Like penny in a tin can loose or SMART sensors freaking out because the hard drive thinks it is falling loose?

5. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member

its doesn't move side to side loose. When I pull on the tap gently the hard drive will lift up a bit and you can hear it. When I am walking around with my mbp I can hear it move too sometimes. I'd say it moves upwards by nearly 1mm.

So should I backup my hd and also delete everything i.e. personal details before i go into the apple store incase they offer a new machine if they can't fix the wobbling hard drive?

6. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member

Booked an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully they'll able to fix it right there and then.
    I had a look at it more carefully myself and it seems its the support for the 2 screws of the HD is not a tight fit thats why it is rattling about. Maybe they'll will replace that little plastic thing with one screw that comes out when you upgrade a new HD.

Also is it normal for the hinge to be squeaky etc when you push down on it at the centre? not that it bothers me at all coz the laptop is working great. :)
    thanks

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Did you buy your macbook stock from apple? Or did you get it used? Or did you ever do a drive swap? It's not clear to me from your post which model you have, but there are drive rails and brackets, depending on which model macbook pro. Sometimes people don't realize that they need to remove these from the old drive and put them on the new drive. They just slap the new drive in because it seems to fit. This can cause the looseness you're talking about. I doubt this would happen if you had a stock machine, but if you or someone else tinkered with it, this could be the issue. And if it's not, well... then... get Applecare to fix it for you!

P.S. You should keep data backups so you don't have to worry when something like this happens... or in case of a freak accident. I've lost my data and let me tell you... it stinks... yuck...

8. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member

Its the newest model MBP 2.4GHz unibody one.
    Bought it online direct from the Apple UK Store.

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well then yes indeed get it checked out!

10. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member

they said they would replace the bottom casing as the bracket was not the problem. So l am going to think about it first as it takes 5 to 7 days. Also because I told them my friends one is fine and doesn't move a bit he told me to try putting my hd in his laptop and see if it rattles therefore to found out if its the hd or the casing of the laptop that is the problem.
    He also said it might be within tolerances...

11. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member