Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockandroll556

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
So I posted a week ago, 2 hours after bringing home my new MBP (which was a replacement because my last 2008 unit had: HD failure, logic board failure, graphics card failure, CD drive failure, mousepad failure....), I posted here about how loud the HD on this new unit was. It was FAR more loud than my last one (and Im obviously paranoid, given my last computer, about having similar problems with this one.

Unfortunately, the loud HD is not the extent of the problems for this computer. The fans get extremely loud (which is understandable... its a more powerful machine. But they are REALLLY loud).

Ive also noticed that the loud hard drive will sometimes make noises that sound as though the HD is spinning off axis (normal HD spinning is a constant noise, but there will be a pulse sometimes to the HD spinning sound).

For the first 2 days of owning the computer, my background (a stock apple one) would reset to a blue screen, even though in the System preferences it displayed that I still had a specific HD picture set. Updating all my software fixed this issue.

Secondly, for the first 5 days when I would turn the brightness to 50%, the screen would just turn off (as if the brightness was at 0%). This issue randomly fixed itself.

Now, my computer has been having problems where it will randomly restart itself. Out of the blue, while surfing the internet, it will just shut off, and restart. The last time it did this, it restarted itself 3 times in 4 minutes. Once, it even rebooted while it was still IN THE MIDDLE OF REBOOTING. As in, it was still on the grey apple screen when it rebooted.

As I stated, the computer is only 9 days old and was a replacement for a previous machine. What do you think i should do? I really want a new computer, as these issues seem unacceptable for a new machine. I hope they dont give me a hard time since htis was a replacement for a previous machine though.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
You should call up Apple and ask for another exchange. Apple isn't a Mom and Pop store and they will send you as many replacements as necessary and just salvage your old computers for parts.

Are you doing anything special with these machines--such as trying to upgrade the hard drive, ram or other modifications?

rockandroll556

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
i havent done anything... All Ive done with this machine so far is install: Pro Tools, Logic, and Reason. I havent even had the chance to really use it for audio editing yet (Im an audio engineer) because Ive just been reinstalling programs.

I had my whole last machine backed up via time machine, but didnt restore it to this one under the advice from a genius at the genius bar who said "it could be your data causing problems with the ram." So much for that belief haha...

Should exchanging it be an easy thing? I brought it in the DAY after buying it because of the HD noise, and the guy told me live with it for the time being and that "I was lucky that Apple gave me a new machine."

I felt like saying "Not true. Im unlucky for having this faulty machine, have lost thousands of dollars worth of data, and lost thousands of dollars worth of time because of these problems. How could you tell me Im lucky when my computers have had this many problems? Id much rather have 1 functional machine without any hiccups."

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I felt like saying "Not true. Im unlucky for having this faulty machine, have lost thousands of dollars worth of data, and lost thousands of dollars worth of time because of these problems. How could you tell me Im lucky when my computers have had this many problems? Id much rather have 1 functional machine without any hiccups."

You can use this point when you bring it back in for a replacement. It's not like you are asking for anything more than having it work properly.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Should exchanging it be an easy thing? I brought it in the DAY after buying it because of the HD noise, and the guy told me live with it for the time being and that "I was lucky that Apple gave me a new machine."

It sounds like he's lucky to have a job.

rockandroll556

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
So that 14 day return window applies to machines given out as replacement machines?

Also, does anybody know if its possible to return the replacement machine and pay an upgrade price for something like an SSD? I really want to avoid all the HD problems Ive had with my MBPs and getting one with an SSD seems like it'd be more reliable.

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
So that 14 day return window applies to machines given out as replacement machines?

Also, does anybody know if its possible to return the replacement machine and pay an upgrade price for something like an SSD? I really want to avoid all the HD problems Ive had with my MBPs and getting one with an SSD seems like it'd be more reliable.

Walk into an Apple store fully prepared to exchange it and ask your questions there. :)

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
For what it's worth, I've had MUCH better experiences dealing with Apple phone support for handling issues and exchanges than I have with the Apple retail ******s.

I know it's a total over-generalization, but it seems like the type of people who work at the retail stores are the hipster d-bags who just know they're cooler than you and are instantly irritated with you for coming in and making them work.

Not all of my experiences with Apple retail employees have been like this. In fact most of them haven't been bad. But I've had enough bad ones that I'd rather just deal with phone support, as I've never had a major complaint about them.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
My experiences are the exact opposite. The retail geniuses I have dealt with were cool and I had a good time talking to them, now the phone support is another story. I have been lied to, hung up on, and told point blank that he was the last person at Apple that I would ever talk to. The problem was I had his name, extension and email. I think I was the last person that he ever talked to on behalf of Apple. When you get those types of people, Apple customer relations like to hear about your experiences and correct it. I wold have asked for the manager and would go back and do so. They have a record of who the person is, by the repair log.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Just depends on who you deal with on an individual level, I guess. I think the moral of the story is that if you have unsatisfactory results with one person, you can always try another avenue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.