MBP Loud Fan and Slow System

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badgertim, Nov 8, 2012.

1. badgertim macrumors newbie

Hi There,

I am a wedding video editor and use FCP on a MBP (early 2011).
    It's worked fine for well over a year until yesterday.

I noticed that the fan was louder than usual and then very slow response whilst using FCP. A day later the system is even slower with Safari extremely slow and finder struggling to open some files.

I have read numerous posts and tried recommended actions - reboot in safe mode, reset drm/pram

[​IMG]

My CPU for the system seems very high.

Can anyone suggest what this might be and recommend the right action to take.

Thanks Tim

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more.

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with your issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues, if your fans are spinning faster without increased heat.
    Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Also click the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then re-post your screen shots.

3. badgertim thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

The MBP isn't getting hot, currently only got safari and activity monitor open.

Thanks

Tim

4. avidedittech macrumors newbie

Are you using native prores? or a funky frame rate? Anything different you are doing in FCP then from what you normally do? If it happens only with FCP, you can always try clearing the preferences.

If you are mixing resolutions in the timeline you are causing the Mac to do more work. Could be a corrupt effect and or clip.

It's been a while since I've installed FCP's but I remember these were common issues I have ran into.

5. badgertim thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is occurring as soon as I turn the mbp on. Fans go into overdrive on start up and when using finder. I can open applications such as fcp but they are unusable as the whole system is laggy?

6. badgertim thread starter macrumors newbie

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your temps are not high at all. Try resetting the SMC.