MBP Loud Grinding Fan Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Saluki Alex, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

I have a 2.0ghz CD MacBook Pro from Spring 2006 and after suffering through the high pitched whine, screen brightness buzz and everything, I thought I was out of the woods for good. I should note that I had sent it in two or three times during that period to get the problem resolved, although it never really was completely.

Anyway, this afternoon, I noticed an odd fan noise coming from the right side of my MBP. It sounded like the fan was misaligned, almost like a diesel engine (not incredibly loud, but noticeable). So I called Apple Care to see what it might be since this has happened sporadically in the past and has been increasing in occurrence recently.

The tech support person told me to unplug it and remove the batter and then hold down the power button for 7 sec. After doing so, I turned it on and then a very, very loud grinding noise was coming from that same fan. It became so loud and disturbing that I shut the laptop down before it caused any damage.

The tech support person told me that I could send it in for repair, I then asked her about the possibility of a replacement since this same MBP had been sent in to Apple around 3 times before. She transferred me to a higher-up and he had me go through some more trouble shooting/diagnostic work which caused the problem to seemingly become worse until the noise wound down (sounding like the fan was dying).

He told me that I could get a replacement and that the shipping labels would be emailed to me. I guess I'm lucky that I'm managing to get a brand new MBP out of my troubles, but the problem still makes me curious.

After getting off the phone with Apple, I downloaded smcFanControl to see if my fans were both still running, which they were. I then adjusted the right fan to see if it would still make the noise and it did just as bad as before and once again had to shut the computer off just to get the noise to go away.

Currently, I've only got the slight diesel engine rumble that I had before. So my question is, has anyone else experience this problem, and/or does anyone know what might be causing it?

*Also, on a side note, does anyone know if I can transfer Microsoft Office to my new MBP? I used the key to activate this version and thus don't have any more keys left.

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I wouldn't know about the fan, but I am 99.99% positive that as long as you uninstall Office from that Mac you can use the same key again. I know that it works on the windows version, but i haven't had to transfer a license yet. Good luck with your new MBP!:D

Don

Edit: with all the problems that i've heard about that affect the MBP I'm getting nervous about buying one.

3. Saluki Alex thread starter macrumors 6502

I should point that my MBP was one of the first when they came out in 2006. I got mine about 3 months after they came out, so I attribute much of my problems with my MacBook Pro with that.

Then again, I haven't been up to speed on current problems with the MacBook Pro outside of the screen issues that were on the front page of MacRumors.

Overall though, the MacBook Pro is the only notebook that would really fit my needs, and even though I've had some problems, it's still a great computer.

4. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

nope. 2 years later with my penryn macbook pro, they still haven't fixed those issues :(. I actually want to know if the powerbooks have this many problems?

5. zaydia macrumors newbie

I got my MBP right when they came out (I think I had to wait a month or two) and luckily didn't have the fan whine or monitor noise, but now I AM having the fan grinding problem. It just started a couple of days ago. I'm out of warranty so I'm nervous about taking it to apple to have it fixed, but I think i'll have to.

The noise is off and on, but definitely worrisome.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just delete the old installation; Macs don't have activation, but whenever you open it and you have an internet connection it will check to see if the current key is being used on another computer or not. So as long as you delete the old installation, there is no way it could be use simultaneously. If you plan on using the same key on 2 or more computers, just turn off you internet when you open up Office 2008. ;)

7. hillct macrumors newbie

Same right fan grinding issue here on a brand new MBP

I too am experiencing the same right fan grinding noise intermittently. Of course it wasn't reproducible when I took it in to the apple store. This is typical of any sort of tech support - when you're looking over a user's shoulder, everything runs just fine. My MBP id less than two months old though, so perhaps I need to get it replaced as a lemon. I've also seen a rare issue where the screen brightnes goes to zero, and can't be changed via the F2 key. The mouse and keyboard are otherwise still responsive (although it was nearly impossible to tell).

The fan issue doesn't appear correlated to speed or temperature.

--hillct

8. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Hmmm I got my MBP about when you did and I'm experiencing a fan noise too. I haven't had the time to take it in yet though.

They do full replacements if you've sent it in a lot? Mine has been sent in at LEAST 3 times. Logicboard, Airport, Battery Replacement (I guess I didn't send the whole thing in for that) and I swear there was one more because I remember picking it up from the store again.

Well when you get yours back, let me know how it is. Refurb, Newer 64bit model? :D

9. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

To the OP: Update? Newer model or refurb from same generation?