MBP lower case screws reinstall help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itegypt, Sep 2, 2011.

1. itegypt, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

I replaced the RAM and I didn’t even notice there are 3 different lower case screws shape/size the long ones are in the right holes 'per the image" how can I check the rest of the screws?
    Thanks

2. itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt

3. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

I'm not sure what you're asking... are you trying to put them back in the right place or something?

If so, close your Macbook, then flip it over so the black hinge is facing away from you. The three longer screws belong in the top right corner, the hole to the left of that, and the one left to that one.

4. itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt

5. treestar macrumors 6502

Yes. There are four shouldered screws the go in the front. Look closely right under the head of the screw. You should be able to find 4 screws that are different than the other 3 screws. It's hard to explain what is different, but there is a wide, non-threaded part under the head called a shoulder.

----------

This is an exaggerated example of a shouldered screw.

Code:
    http://media.digikey.com/photos/Keystone%20Elect%20Photos/2433.JPG

6. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Just looking a the diagram should be easy, you should have 7 screws left, group of 3 and group of 4... then just match each group to the right holes from that diagram.

When i took my 13 apart I only remember the top 3 right screws being longer, but I had them all organized in a mini square so I knew where each one went... didn't pay attention to the other sizes, actually thought the other 7 were all the same lol. But searching online, you should be able to tell 4 screws apart from the other 3, slightly different.

7. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

I've actually taken mine apart and put it back together a billion times and never really noticed a difference between the rest of the screws besides the 3 longer ones. I've probably mixed them around a bunch of times, I haven't had any problems. I don't think they are really that specific, and doubt that you will really have problems if they're that different.

By the way, sorry I didn't notice that you have a 13". It might be slightly different as to how many screws there are, but I imagine that it's not much different if so.

8. treestar macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly, the 3 long screws have a very long shoulder so you can look at them to understand better.

9. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Interesting... I've always made sure to keep my screws in the exact same layout when I take them out. I didn't even realize there was a difference except the long ones. I guess being careful paid off.

10. ljones macrumors regular

Yeah same here

11. itegypt, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt

I got the screws fixed but does it matter how the shouldered screws go. I feel they look different to line up with the holes?
    Thanks!!!

12. itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt

The other 3 screws one look different? can someone confirm please?
    Thanks ;)

13. treestar macrumors 6502

I always thought only the two side screws weren't shouldered. I was surprised the diagram shows the one rear screw is also shouldered. If there is one that looks strange, put it in the back.