MBP magnet question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ExiledMafia, Jan 31, 2012.

  1. ExiledMafia, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

    ExiledMafia macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2011
    #1
    So here's my question:

    Since I since I got my MBP in october I've used this specific carrying case. Without thinking twice I was given a refrigerator magnet (a larger but thin like one that would say a sports teams or tell a sports team schedule) and basically have had it in the case since day one without thinking about it. Can this magnet ruin my computer? Nothing has happened yet I'm jut worried about the future and possible damage I haven't notice yet. Also I don't keep the MBP in the case only when transporting it.

    Thanks again and I realize I'm probably just be paranoid but who knows.
     
  2. mzjin macrumors 6502

    mzjin

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2011
    #2
    If the magnet is strong enough, it may affect data on your hard drive, otherwise, it doesn't affect anything. Most magnets are not strong enough to do anything.
     
  3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

    Interstella5555

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #3
    I'd say the magnets on the lid clasp are as strong if not stronger than your average refrigerator magnet, so you should probably be fine if you're not actively rubbing it all over the computer.
     
  4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

    GuitarG20

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2011
    #4
    I'm thinking it's too small to do any real damage. I haven't taken E&M yet (next semester) but I'm thinking you'd need a larger magnet than a small thin one to disrupt electrical components. If you think about it, the MagSafe connector or lid latch magnet(s) built into your MBP are probably stronger than the fridge magnet, especially since it's not even on the MBP itself.
     
  5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #5
    i agree with others thats its likely not strong enough, but is there a reason your storing in in you laptop case? or did you forget that it was in there and you now just curious to what damage you could of done?
     
  6. squeakr macrumors 68000

    squeakr

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #6
    The only thing that I would worry about if it comes in direct contact with the HDD, this could cause some issues if it were strong enough. If you haven't seen any data corruption then you should be fine. The charge that would be required to damage components with a magnet would require an earth magent so strong that you would not be able to pull it off of a refrigerator, so I wouldn't worry about that either. I used to work around large plating bays with extremely large magnets and we never had issues with the electronics in them that was caused by magnetic interference.
     
  7. ExiledMafia, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

    ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2011
    #7
    Yea i just forgot about it haha, needless to say its no longer in my case.

    Also yea i don't think it is strong enough especially considering it wasn't in direct contact with the laptop let alone the HDD.... I mean I had the magnet part facing outwards ( I know em fields can go on either side) and I believe the magnet wouldn't stick to the fridge if the magnet side was facing outwards so I do feel better.
     
  8. drambuie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    #8
    Fridge magnets have a low magnetic field. It could not change the data on a hard disk, even if it touched a platter. The write heads on a hard disk create a microscopic, but extremely intense magnetic field. Even a strong magnet couldn't hurt a drive. Hard drives contain very strong magnets that sit a fraction of an inch from the platters. These voice coil drive magnets are as strong, if not stronger, than high power speaker magnets.
     

Share This Page