MBP Makes ENTIRE Router Reset

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by teezy, Aug 16, 2012.

1. teezy, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

teezy macrumors member

teezy

This just started happening yesterday... I was simply on my Mac reading some stuff on Redmond Pie, and I tried to go to another page and it wouldn't load. I went to check the lights on the router and the whole thing reset itself. I noticed that it ONLY happens when I use my MBP on it. I haven't changed any settings prior to yesterday, it just started bugging out on its own. My MBP will connect to it for a minute or two and then the router will kill itself once again. Other devices connected to the router: desktop HP computer, epson workforce printer, iPad 2, and 2 iPhone 4s (not 4S but multiple 'fours' lol). This is truly frustrating! I've done research lead me to renew the DHCP lease (which did nothing), and reset the router to factory settings (which also did nothing). The router is a Comcast xfinity... something. I guess, their "new" xfinity routers. And yes, it's wifi-capable... obviously. Any tips? I think it's just the router because there's no way it'd go out like that just because of my Mac.... or is it?

Update: Actually... I just unplugged everything for a few minutes a little while ago and haven't experienced a disconnect.............. yet.

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I'm getting exactly the same issue, my wife's MBP is fine, the iphone/ipad's/s3/wii/ds/etc etc are all fine, but as soon as I turn on my MBP the router resets itself randomly and frequently.

I've booted into a windows partition and it's fine, meaning it's got to be software.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sounds like the router....You could try Comcast's Tech support...Might be a known issue. I have found every ISP supplied router to be garbage. I'm UK based at present, and have Virgin Medias latest offering...Range about 2 feet! As a modem it's fine, but I run my wifi through my 3TB TC which never misses a beat...Runs on 2.4 and %GHZ too.

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I'm on virgin media too, using a time capsule as the router as well.