MBP making Cracking Noises

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doubledee, Jun 11, 2014.

1. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

I have a year-old MBP, and when I am working on it for some time, and go to reposition the monitor/lid, I get this horrible *CRACKING* noise like a piece of plastic being bent and snapped?! :eek:

As far as I know the entire case is aluminum, but I'm not sure what the black hinge part is made of.

To me it is probably just wicked friction building up between the aluminum base and the black hinge part - which I'm thinking is plastic - and probably is doing no harm.

However, at the least it is annoying, and at worst I worry something might actually snap sometime?! :eek:

Normally such a crack/creak calls for some good ol WD-40, however that probably isn't a good ideal on my precious laptop!! :eek:

Any ideas how to fix this issue, and help the longevity of my MBP?

Sincerely,

Debbie

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sometimes on my machine, it makes light cracking sounds from the frame readjusting inside. If it is indeed the clutch cover (black plastic you describe) hitting metal, any Genius Bar can reseat the cables and clutch cover to prevent that noise. It is common on some MacBook Pros, but is indeed a problem that Apple can easily resolve.

3. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

It's a friction issue.

And I'm sorry to say, but I loathe Apple stores...

How about using graphite powder?

Debbie

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You may loathe them, but they can fix it right away. I am not familiar with graphite powder, but if it is very light I would be afraid of it sticking to the fan or getting caught in or on the heat sink.