Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KidZgOtMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
My Macbook Pro keeps continuously making a ticking sound. Something like if there was a little metal ball moving around inside. Even when it is not being moved around every few minutes or so. I had been told this was something that protected the Hard Drive but I don't think it should be sounding off that often. It's pissing me off.

kevinchval

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Same Problem

I am having the same problem. I took it in and they said it was probably this little metal thing that grounds the logic board which concernes me because if that is moving then is my logic board at risk? Anyone know if this is correct or not?

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
My Macbook Pro keeps continuously making a ticking sound. Something like if there was a little metal ball moving around inside. Even when it is not being moved around every few minutes or so. I had been told this was something that protected the Hard Drive but I don't think it should be sounding off that often. It's pissing me off.

I have it as well and it happens a lot of times to me as well, it is however completely normal:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1935

According to this article.

DoctorOwl

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
That KB link is more about when the MBP is moved, not just when it's stationary.

I have a mid-2009 13" MBP and it has done that ticking noise every 30-60s ever since I got it. It was really common with the default hard disk at the time, lots of people complained, and it was never fixed (though there was a firmware update at one stage, it didn't change the behavior of my model).

AFAIK it's normal. If you install smartctl, you should be able to see the head resets going up massively compared to what would be normal, and there's no way around it.

If you're unsure, though, take it to an Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.