MBP Mate Vs Glossy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bwilky, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Bwilky macrumors regular

What's the real difference between mate and glossy? I don't want to buy a MBP and figure out I wanted the other.

2. nanvinnie macrumors regular

not sure how to describe the difference without using the words matte and glossy, but i recommend going with matte. the glossy screen limits your viewing angle and the reflections can get annoying.

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    There are lot of threads about Matte vs Glossy. Please use the search function. :rolleyes:

cheers

4. nickcliborne macrumors regular

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have both matte and glossy screens on all kinds of laptops and desktops that I own or have at work. Here is my take on the two:

If you are going to be using this for photo editing or any color accurate work, first, I recommend hooking it up to an external monitor. If that is not an option, I would choose matte.

For everything else, on a notebook I would go with glossy. Not sure why the other poster said it limits your viewing angle because it doesn't, but it does increase contrast and its easier to read everything on the smaller screen and you only really see reflections when the screen is off.

But, I would go to a best buy or ccity and take a look for yourself. I prefer matte on my external monitors and glossy on my notebook screens.

6. Mr Nice Guy macrumors member

Mr Nice Guy

I went for the glossy screen and haven't regret it! I would recommend that you went to your local apple store to judge yourself

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why gloss yourself when you can mate?

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Beats me.:rolleyes:

9. CoolMe macrumors member

'Mate' as you say it, is just like a LCD Screen.

Glossy, is a a 'true life' screen.

Go with glossy. Looks better.

10. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

If it were that easy/cut and dry, they wouldn't be selling the Matte now would they? :rolleyes:

11. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I have a MB, which has a glossy screen and i love it!

When i get my MBP on tuesday :) i will be getting a glossy. Colours are amazing on it!

12. Jatku macrumors member

Judging by the screen on the IPhone, I would say that Apple's glossy screens are made nicely. In direct light you can still see the picture clearly, and glare isn't horrible. On my old PowerBook's matte screen, direct light would make the screen washed out and unreadable, but then again, that was made 3 years ago. I haven't closely compared the new pros to give a good comparison on the current laptop screens, so maybe I should have never responded to begin with :)

13. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Hmm, I didn't think about direct light. I have that problem with my current (ancient) notebook.

Anyone with matte MBP work in direct light? Problems?

14. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

15. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

...or so we hope. There are rumours that they're phasing out the matte from all their lines. Hopefully its not the Pro lines at least.

16. Habusho macrumors 6502

I always liked matte. I know the colors might seem a bit richer on the glossy screens but the glare really kills it. I actually think the matte screens are pretty vibrant especially if you calibrate them with a Spyder or something.

17. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Having bought a glossy Macbook, I wish it were matte. It's impossible to use in any sunlight.

18. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

That would make me seriously reconsider ever buying another MacBook Pro. I personally despise glossy screens. They make sense in some situations, but I need a laptop I can take into bright areas with overhead light and still use.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Matte has a film on the TFT panel that affects how light is emitted and reflected on the display. You won't get true color accuracy. Glossy is polished glass. Either one has it's advantages and disadvantages, but glossy is the way to go. Matte makes sense, but even under a little light, it doesn't do much to cut out the reflections. I'd rather have a brighter colors that I use for 99% of the time than less glare for >1% of the time. If you spend more time under direct lighting and does graphic work, go matte.

20. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I'm not sure the millions of professionals who buy notebooks and displays with a matte finish would agree with you.

21. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I have Matte and I am happy with it. I recommend it!

22. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I'd get matte. I've got both a matte MacBook Pro and a glossy HP laptop, and although the glossy is nice, the reflections just aren't worth it.

It is the opposite - glossy doesn't represent true colour. For someone working on Photoshop, using a glossy display would be a bad idea. Matte is much more accurate at colour representation.

23. McBeats macrumors 6502a

i got the glossy, my ex got the matte....

mine looks better :)

24. jTreu macrumors 6502

after using a glossy mb for a year any matte displays just look dull...

25. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Actually, it's very apparent that glossy actually gives you OVER saturated colors. Not more correct colors.

I got matte. Love it.