MBP Matte screen vs matte protector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JavaWizKid, Aug 5, 2010.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

Which is the most worth it? A natural matte MBP which has a aluminium bezel or a glossy MBP screen with a matte screen protector. The glossy MBP looks less silly because the keyboard matches the black bezel whereas the matte screen looks odd with no black.

Also, which looks better for use? Anyone have any photos?

2. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

Matte screen covers look horrible. Had one on my old 13in for 2 days and then trashed it.

Had the moshi one of your interested. Things were a bit fuzzy and ontop of that, you had to turn up the brightness 3-4 notches to match what it was before.

3. Meever macrumors 6502a

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5753

Varies from company to company i think.

The gloss and frame gives the glossy screen a more vibrant look while the matte makes the laptop much more comfortable to use outdoors and direct light. Pretty cut and dry.

I like the matte but I don't want the higher resolution silver bezel. And glare or not, the glossy isn't exactly unusable in high light conditions.

4. tonywang.xmpt macrumors member

Personally,
    Moshi is my favorite Apple accessory store.
    I buy their products all the time.
    (They sell them in stores in Taiwan for me when I visit)

Almost all "matte" screen covers will cause your screen to loose some visibility
    especially in color and brightness.
    The simple solution is to increase the brightness.

If you're not willing to deal with the consequences of a "matte" screen cover,
    don't get one.

5. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

A direct quote from moshi says "High transparency ensures minimal impact to brightness"

When i have to up my brightness settings by 25%-30% i don't really consider that "minimal".

I took them to their word and gave it a shot and didn't like it. I never said moshi makes products (i use their keyboard cover and wrist guards), i just gave the OP my opinion on it since he wanted to know how it looks.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd choose the matte screen.

I ask you this: Would you rather be born with straight teeth or need braces because you have crooked teeth?

7. j0nblayz macrumors member

j0nblayz

i dont recommend the moshi ivisor at all, i've been using it for about a month, theres rainbow effects everywhere, not the usual rainbow effect you get from matter covers. The rainbow effect is due to their no air bubble design, smart yet useless design. Search for moshi ivisor on here and you'll see my review. I'm currently waiting for my SGP antiglare to come in, hoping it'll be better then moshi.

8. mark28 macrumors 68000

If you want a matte screen, get the AG screen.

I highly doubt that a Glass plate + AG film is of the same quality of the Matte display. I think the colours would shift and probably will become more fuzzy with film on top of a Glossy display.

The reflects would distrub me more than the colour of the bezel imo.

9. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

An orthodontist would put you in with either if (s)he had his/her way. :)

Anyway, based upon the constant complaints about how bad the AG screen protectors are, I would go with the OEM AG finish. Also, I like my AG screen a lot if that counts for anything.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

A antiglare protector shield in no way compares to a true matte screen on the MBP. First the product may reduce glare but it's plastic, and plastic itself produces a hard glare when light shines on it. Another thing, as others have mentioned those screen protectors end up with "rainbow" effects which renders them useless. Another thing, after spending good money on my Mac, the last thing I want to deal with is trying to lay a screen protector that produces bubbles and dirt gets underneath and it just gets frustrating. Why fake it when you can have the real thing? Lastly, a screen protector will not offer all the benefits of a matte screen. For one thing, the MBP matte screen produces natural color, especially for printing, you won't get that benefit with a screen protector.

OP, you haven't seen a MBP with matte screen close up. The trim around the screen bezel and the hinge are black so there's just the right amount of black trim to match the keyboard color so it doesn't look out of place. Honestly, if you want to talk about ruining looks of your MBP, those screen protectors nullify the "Macbook Pro" moniker on the bottom of the screen bezel on the glossy MBP so it makes it look ugly.

One last thing, Moshi doesn't make all products good, their keyboard protectors are the worst in the industry. They get cloudy from finger oil wear and it's virtually impossible to get the skin oil off and then you end up buying another keyboard protector because you can no longer see the keyboard underneath. iSkin is the best keyboard protector.