mbp matte screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by utsavtalwar, May 4, 2007.

1. utsavtalwar macrumors member

guys just bought a 17" mbp..

is amazing...
    but somehow im not too satisfied with the matte screen..
    maybe i havnt adjusted well but i dont know howto..
    i have an hp desktop with hp 17" monitor flat panel hpvs17..

i put the same wallpaper on both my mbp and pc and my pc shows such pure colors its very color rich...theres this wallpaper which is brown actually as shown by my pc but it is somehow with a tinge of black on mbp,....

i believe that my mbp screens supposed to be better than my hp one ...
    am i missing some settings..
    can anyone help me get good colors on mbp..
    maybe send a profile or something..

really appreciate..
    cheers
    utsav

2. jonaseriksson macrumors member

It's no surprice that the HP outperforms the one in your laptop. It's harder to make a really good laptop screen than a standard one. That's why they started making them glossy; it's a cheaper and easier way to enhance picture quality without actually upping the specs.

3. rectangular macrumors member

Desktop monitors tend to be better than LCDs. You may want to try some kind of color calibration unit. It definitely improved the color correctness of my Macbook. Whenever I go back to the standard color calibration... I wonder... how could I ever color correct my photos???

4. PDE macrumors 68020

Desktop LCDs are always better than laptops LCDs. I found the 17" MBP to be pretty nice, but it doesn't compare to my desktop Samsung 215TW in terms of even illumination, color, contrast, viewing angles. It was nice, but that's it. I think there are better displays out there, but only a few manufacturers use them - sony, HP (they have some display that has better color gamut) and some of the thinkpads (flexview?), but Apple doesn't use the best displays unfortunately....

Sorry...

5. robby818 macrumors 6502a

You can adjust the gamma of the Mac to a PC gamma of 2.2 (i believe). just run through the color calibration tool that is in the system settings and when you get to the screen asking which gamma setting to use choose PC. That should make colors look richer. I think Macs have always had a 1.8 for print/layout purposes but I think 2.2 might be better for most people.

6. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I went to an Apple Store and saw the matte and gloss side-by-side. The matte looked brighter and sharper to me even though some people like the gloss more. I didn't like seeing my reflection and the lights glaring in the screen either.

My matte looks better than a gloss Sony VAIO I just sold and that was a nice machine!

7. PDE macrumors 68020

supercal is quite useful too.