MBP Max CPU Temp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thisguy23, Nov 16, 2008.

1. thisguy23 macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 2.33 C2D Merom that I use for converting video's in Handbrake and I broke my record tonight for cpu heat to 207 degrees F. I looked around for some time on here and google and can't seem to find anything about MAX CPU TEMP. Anyone know what the max for my processor is? Thanks for the help.

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

What were your MBP's fans doing? Also, any chance the ventilation was blocked. If you do that kind of stuff (rip/converting video) regularly, maybe you could try a cooling pad on your desk. Anyway, it seems incredibly hot to me.

3. thisguy23 thread starter macrumors newbie

my fans are maxed at 6000rpm. Yeah I am looking into the best overall cooling pad for mbp's, I don't want to get a cheap one. I was just wondering it's max temp before it blows up

4. MBPDiva macrumors regular

When it does blow up, will you post the max temp for us? I bought this nifty little cooling pad after noticing my MBP fans ramping up like jet engines after downloading an update.

It's compact, affordable, it keeps my notebook cool as a cucumber and the two fans run quiet. I have no complaints. ;)

5. kolax macrumors G3

That is extremely hot.

Sounds like the fans might be coughed up and aren't circulating the air well, even though they are running at 6000rpm. My MacBook Pro's logic board got replaced, and before, the fans would be going 6000rpm when CPU usage was pretty much 200% and the CPU temperature was around 91'C. They said the fans were in a bit of a mess when they replaced the logic board.

Now, when encoding video, the temperature never goes above 80'C, usually 74'C average and the fans rarely go above 4000rpm to keep it at that temperature.

I know you are running an older generation MacBook Pro, so the CPU will reach different temperatures to mine, but I'd make sure your fans aren't clogged up (either clean yourself if you are out of warranty, or an authorised vendor).

6. thisguy23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point my friend! I guess i forgot about where i work. I'm in the Navy and the ship isn't the most dust- free environment that this can be in. I will try that when i get back to VA. Thanks. I will post my findings later.

7. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Your MBP went to 97C which is okay for doing something like running handbrake. Just keep your fans at max and leave it on a surface that can take heat away easily. (Wood/Metal)

8. thisguy23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good news... after opening everything up, i found that the fan vents were being blocked by dust. with a little help from a can of air duster and a small screw driver i was able to clear all the dust blocking the vents. I then fired up handbrake and let it run... temps read around 163F!!! thats over 43 degrees F cooler! nicely done!

9. kolax macrumors G3

Good stuff ;)

You should've taken a picture of it!

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

My granite kitchen surface works better than any cooling pad. But since your encoding you have little to worry about with those temps.