MBP Max RAM and Other ?s

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael73, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

I've recently begun using my MBP as a near full-time desktop replacement. Unfortunately, the poor thing just can't keep up. To give you an idea of what's currently running: Mail, iCal, Safari, iPhoto, iTunes, Excel, VMWare Fusion (XP), Firefox, Photoshop Extended CS4, Dreamweaver CS4.

I'm hoping I might be able to help it along a little bit if I add more RAM. The model identifier is 5,1 - it's a 2.66GHz with 4GB currently, but I'd like to replace at least one of the 2GB RAM sticks with a 4GB. Can this baby take 6GB or 8GB total RAM?

Outside of increasing RAM is there really anything I can do to improve performance? Do you think any of the coming models in January or June would likely provide noticeable improvements?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There isn't anything wrong with your hardware to run what you're running. The problem is RAM. Max. RAM you can have in that model is 6GB unofficially. Having 6GB should definitely help but 4GB should still be enough depending on what you're doing in the Adobe programs. Other than Fusion, the other should take approx. 1.4GB of RAM leaving you with 2.0+GB left for Fusion and Adobe.

3. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. For XP in Fusion I've allocated 1 processor and 1GB of RAM. As for the Adobe stuff, I'm usually designing image elements for websites in Photoshop and then using Dreamweaver to compose and edit pages on several websites.

When examining the activity monitor the page in and outs are always changing. Right now it says Page Ins 2.41GB, Page Outs 455.9MB.

4. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Shouldn't the 2.66 ghz model can handle 8GB of ram? My 2.93 15" can handle 8Gb with no problem at all.

5. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just got this reply from William in response to my question, "I have a 15" MBP 5,1 2.66GHz with 4GB RAM that I bought in April '09. Can this model support 6GB or 8GB RAM?"

Hi thanks fore your email,

Yes, the 5,1 MBP can support a max of 8GB of RAM.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3

please let me know if you have questions

So what it is it...6GB or 8GB? :confused:

6. moka macrumors 6502a

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

The virtual machine is most likely the biggest RAM hog you got there. 4 GB should be plenty for what you're doing. If you want to reduce RAM usage, throw Dreamweaver out of the window. It's IMO rubbish.

8. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

8GB. You can get up to 8GB in 2.66Ghz 15" uMBP.