MBP/MB Air: what to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Elizabeth2, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Elizabeth2 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I really need a new laptop, as my dear old (7 years) white MacBook is about to give it up.

But I'm not sure which one I should buy.

My first inclination was to buy the MacBook Pro 13 inch which is in the stores right now. But I read on this site not to do that, as there soon will be a new MBP.

The retina one could be a possibility of course, but I find it too expensive.

Another option would be to buy the MB Air. I do love the sleek look. But I'm afraid I need more memory/power.

So my questions are:

- What would you recommend I buy?
    - When is the new MBP due? (maybe I should just wait for that one?)

Thank you very much!

Love,

Liz

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

New Pro probably you won't see until April or May of next year with the release of Haswell chipsets by Intel. If you need a computer now there's not a compelling reason not to buy. There will always be a new computer around the corner, it's the nature of the business.

As to whether Air or Pro you haven't stated what you're using it for, so it's hard to answer. The Air has higher screen resolution but a poorer quality screen. You also have to be sure you buy the right spec on memory and drive space as memory isn't upgradeable, and drives are third party or crazy $$ from Apple

The Pro has a bit more heft as to form factor and the memory and drives are upgradeable. The classic (non-retina) also has a DVD drive and Ethernet if that's important to you. The Air it's separate accessories totaling an additional $100.

A 13" base cMBP upgraded with 16gb of mem (less than $50) and an SSD will run circles around an Air, at a similar price point.

3. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

7 year old technology? Definitely treat yourself to the MBP.

4. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Is it really that early? I heard July-August...

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Potentially. If you recall, Apple was first out of the gate with Sandy Bridge and they released with the announcement of the chipset release. That was March of 2010 when the market said May-June

Either of us could be right at the end of the day. But Apple is getting more and more in bed with Intel now they're trying to wean themselves from Samsung and Intel is one of the few viable players with the chip foundries to replace Sammy. That makes for some sweetheart deals. I would not be at all surprised to see them early. It also keeps with the historical spring releases of MBP updates

Depends more on where Intel really truly is with Haswell though.

6. Elizabeth2 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I would need it for?

I'm a journalist, so I use Word and internet a lot. I also use iPhoto and download music and films.

Do you reckon a Macbook Air would be enough for that?

It's just that I'm the sort of person who likes to keep her options open. Like: what if I decide to take a photography or movie edititing course? (not that I really want that) Then my MB Air won't be enough, right?

----------

I do find esthetics important. Which is one of the reasons I always bought Apple (I started my freelance carreer with the blue iBook). But I don't find the MB Pro that is in stores now very pretty. It's not sleek and elegant enough, I reckon. The retina one looks better, and so does the MB Air, I reckon. :)

7. Poisonivy326 macrumors 6502

Sounds like this will be your main computer so get the Pro, add more RAM, replace the HD with the various SSD drives sold in Amazon and other parts, and you'll have a kick ass machine.

8. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

MacBook Air is pretty beastly. Plus it's way more portable than the cMBP.

9. canuckle macrumors regular

Agreed. Just switched from 2011 cMBP to 2012 MBA, both 13". I'm not doing super heavy lifting with Photoshop, but I do play around with photos and iMovie for fun. No issues with it keeping up at all. The portability, for my use, is perfect and I'm not regretting the switch at all.

10. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

There won't be a 2013 cmbp at all, in the 13 or 15 sizes. The pro line will have retina (rmbp), the air won't (air=consumer pro= professional) and the air will replace the cmbp there the same price anyway, if you want to be able to easily upgrade ram and HDD then cmbp now, if not, and if you can wait, go for the 2013 air.

11. yinz macrumors 6502a

THE MBA is a really brilliant design. THey don't sell it enough, but the wedged shape is really good for typing as your wrists are less likely to be stressed with prolonged elevation.

I'd be hesitant, rather I am hesitant to get an MBP because of this design difference.

12. JupiterDoc macrumors member

I like my MBA just fine. I do everything I need on it. I have not found myself in a situation where I felt I should have purchased a MBP.

13. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Good choice. The '12 MBA is easily one of Apple's best offerings and probably the reason the 13 inch MBPr isn't selling too well.

14. yinz macrumors 6502a

It's true. The 13" classic is basically a bigger, heavier MacBook Air. The 13" retina is a MacBook Air with retina display. If only they made it wedge shaped..

15. jetlagged macrumors 6502

I went with the Air 13" 2012. i5/8/256, I paid more for it than the higher end cMBP 13", but thats the price I paid for portability.

Basically I wanted a computer that I can take traveling with me. I plan to travel around the world for a year or 2, so the fact its small, lightweight, and portable were key criterias for me, but good enough to handle light video editing and photo editing.