Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
As far as the longevity of the notebook computer, I would like to ask which mode will last longer:
1. clam shell mode connected to an external monitor such as ACD
2. use them as notebook book computer without connecting to or using an external monitor.

This question excludes the longevity of the notebook's LCD as it would wear out faster than the mode 1.

Or, it does not make any difference (except for the LCD longevity)?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The only differing factor is really heat ventilation and dissipation. If the machine is running hotter in clamshell mode (quite possible), then it probably will have an adverse effect on the machine's life span. :)

ormandj

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
YS2003 said:
The screen problem with clam shell mode is new to me. Does it actually happen? Even the flat TV's LCD gets warm rather quickly after it is turned on.

The screen is off in clamshell mode, is this not correct? I believe the only possible increase in heat would be due to the added layer over the keyboard further insulating the computer. It really shouldn't make much difference though....

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
ormandj said:
The screen is off in clamshell mode, is this not correct? I believe the only possible increase in heat would be due to the added layer over the keyboard further insulating the computer. It really shouldn't make much difference though....

yes it is off. still iffy about it though

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I wish Apple would add a key combo like PC laptops have where it changes the video mode to just the external video, so that you can leave the notebook open, but dedicate full VRAM to the external video.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
ormandj said:
When it is in clamshell mode, the screen is off. But, one of the posters above said the heat which is generated by the notebook may cause some damage to the screen (even though the screen is off). I don't think the LCD would be damaged by the heat from the notebook (in order for it to get damaged, heat should be very hot). But, I would like to check this up with other poeple who is in the know.

I also put on Radtech's screen protector when my Macs are in clamshell mode. So, that would also put extra shield for the screen (I am using Radtech to prevent the keyboard mark on the screen, not from the heat though).

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
ITASOR said:
Oh, is that what that is?! Thanks! Haha.
Does it really work like that? I am going to try that out on my Mac when I get back home. Since it is a function key, I hope I can get the same effect by using the F7 on the Apple external keyboard.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
ITASOR said:
Oh, is that what that is?! Thanks! Haha.
Didn't work on my MBP. Only changed from mirrored to two separate monitors. Didn't shut off the internel one.

If you wish to turn off the internal screen just close the lid, exit sleep and put the screen in an upright position. Now the internal screen is off and the external is on.

An added bonus to the full use of the speakers and the iSight, is less heat in general and no heat hitting the screen.

ormandj

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
hush said:
which is the country of that keyboard? Greece? I can see some special characters, and since it has € symbol, it must be in Europe :)

That would be Denmark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.