MBP/MB Resale Value: Ridiculously High

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vant, May 7, 2010.

1. vant macrumors 65816

I'm creating this thread because I just typed up this huge post about resale value and the thread was closed after I posted it (it was huge, now I have to redo it). I want to get this out because no one seems to comment about it in the comparison threads.

My GF sold her Macbook on CL for $730 cash in May 2009. She bought it for around $1000 in late 2006. Thats nearly 3 years of use for only $270.

In comparison, I purchased a $2700 Toshiba Tecra M7 (Tablet, killer GPU, and upgraded screen) on October 2006. Sold it in April 2009 for $615 minus shipping on eBay (no one in CL wanted it of course). Cost to own for nearly 3 years of use? Over $2000.

The funny thing is, she managed to sell it for more then mine. At the time of sale, my laptop was still running better than hers.

Right after selling our laptops, we waited for the revised 09 MBP13s and drove to Oregon to buy two of them for $1100 no tax. We sold the iPod touches for $200 cash off CL. Our effective price was $900 after education/ipod discounts (they ran out of printers, could of sold those too for at least $40 I assume).

So today, I looked to see how much I could dispose my laptop for.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/sys/1728683324.html

$800. My cost to own for one year is a marginal $100?!?! Thats without negotiation. If wanted ads are being posted for $800, I'm sure I could get a lot more for posting a selling one. Heck, if I tried hard enough, I might even get $900 making my cost to own $0. A free laptop for a year, nice.

Now I know a lot of people aren't students, but the benefits are still there. You can get rid of an MBP relatively fast locally. My Tecra had no interest on CL. No hits, no nothing. I had to resort to eBay just to get the bastard off my hands.

With these things in mind, it would be a no brainer to go with a Mac if you care about your financials. On top of the ease of warranty fixes (there's 3 Apple stores around me), it really makes no sense at all to buy a Windows laptop.

(Just to note, even if Macs had terrible resale, I would still buy them because of the nice features).

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

yep, this is one of the reasons I felt confident dropping so much money on an MBP. It makes sense with Apple's pricing model.

3. hypermog macrumors regular

Does anyone know if Applecare adds resale value to a MBP?

4. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

Do we breath air?

5. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I can't agree more - MacBooks/Pro hold their value extremely well. I managed to buy my first macbook for about £620 in 2007 (thanks to an amazing exchange rate at the time), sold it for £550 (if i remember correctly) on ebay 2 years later. Mind you I had added more ram and bought applecare - so spent a bit more than £620 in total over the years. Still a pretty good deal for a laptop!

A friend of mine bought a windows laptop at the same time in 2007, spent the same amount of money, then was lucky to get £100 for it at the time when i sold my macbook on ebay. needless to say his next laptop was a macbook pro. :)

AppleCare is probably one of the main reasons I managed to get so much money for my 2 year old laptop. My plan is to renew my laptop every 2 years so that I can always sell it one with one more year of warranty left.

Fabian

6. lasuther macrumors 6502a

This is an advantage I have been using recently. I try to use CL because there is no listing, selling, or PP fees which can eat $100 to $200 off the selling price.

My plan is to sell my Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz, 2Gig Ram, 160GB hard drive for $700-800 this summer when back to school shopping is going on. I honestly feel guilty for selling 2 year old laptops for $800. People pay way to much for used MacBooks.

7. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Yep, I surfed CL for months looking for a good deal on an MBP and the only good deals I saw were obvious scam attempts. Some of them wanted $100 less than current sale price for a 3 yr old MBP.

I ponied up and bought a brand new one this year, and I suppose in three years when it's time to upgrade, I'll not be out too much. :)

8. vant thread starter macrumors 65816

I think we should call this the Apple Tax Refund.

9. Osnabrueck macrumors member

Well, no. We breathe it.

10. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I think it depends on the model...I'm curious to what I can get out of my 17" Macbook Pro that I bought about a year ago for $2440 out the door after taxes. I'd have a feeling I'd only get about $1500-1700 for it...or maybe less! Still a great PC none the less.

11. FnuGk macrumors regular

im just asking who the heck is buying these old and used machines for so high a price?

12. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

This is why I upgrade every time a refresh comes out, it costs me a few hundred dollars at most.

13. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Macbooks also seem to follow an opposite resale model when it comes to "features". The lower end macbooks seem to hold their value really well. Like many have suggested, you may only lose ~10% value over 1-2 years. The high end machines seem to lose closer to 15-20% over the same period of time.

When it comes to buying used cars, the fully loaded models are always the ones which hold their value better. It's a very strange trend.

14. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Not when you get into enthusiast cars... sometimes less is more.

15. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

well played, sir, I was about to do the same thing.

16. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I sold my late 2007, 2 1/2 years old, white macbook for $600, half the price it originally was. So my new 15" MBP just costed me $1,200. Great deal.

17. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

I laughed pretty hard when I saw that mistake I made. Nice work.

18. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

on average $100

19. lilo777 macrumors 603

Since you travel to buy stuff to Portland, you must live in Washington State. Have you heard about the guy in Washington State who was killed by fake buyers as he was trying to sell diamond ring on CL (also about $1000 worth) a few days ago? Just be careful.

20. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Best story?

I found an aluminum 2.4ghz macbook on eBay for $850 (800$ after bing.com promotion & shipping charges).

The listing was very poor, but it was advertised as 'not a single scratch' or ANYTHING on it. I took the plunge and bought it..

When I got it, it looked brand new. It had all boxes/manuals/etc, not a single scratch / dent / dead pixel (trust me I searched EVERYWHERE)...

I ran coconut battery and it only had like 7 battery cycles, I was completely dumbfounded how I got it so cheap.

The screen panel kind of bothered me so I posted it up on eBay / craigslist - 3 days later I got a hit... met him that day and sold it... best part?? I sold it for $1,000.

I used it for a little over a week, and MADE 200$ off of it!!!! I was in awe...

Then went and bought a brand new 13" MBP.. for $1,199 after education discount and got a free badass printer!! :eek:

21. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

cool story, bro

seriously that's pretty cool

22. hypermog macrumors regular

Question for those that have sold on Craigslist: are you requiring cash-only for every transaction?

23. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You mean $1099 after student discount + tax right?

24. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, whatever it was.. :p

Couldn't remember the exact price since I bought accessories + printer and my total bill was around $1700..

I think people think that since they're all aluminum that they're all essentially the same computer..

And yes, cash only for craigslist. I usually meet @ a starbucks, I buy something + give them a dollar or 2 tip and they don't ever say anything to me.

25. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I just got my first Mac a couple weeks ago (MBP 13), but I'm excited about the prospect of getting a new MBP each year or as new models come out. I'm used to the PC world where your computer isn't worth a darned thing to anyone including yourself after 2-3 years, if that long.