MBP, MBA and Clamshell mode questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Aster007, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Aster007 macrumors newbie

Hello Guys,

I have MBP 2008 Late and need a bigger screen. I was thinking about Dell U2913WM UltraSharp.

I have purchased Griffin Elevator stand long time ago.

My question is:

1. Can I use the MBP 2008 Late ( with brand new ssd and 8gb ram) in clam shell mode with that Dell Screen?
    2. In the future, I would like to replace MBP 2008 for MBA 13 Inch. Will the MBA(will take 2013 release or a newer one when it is out) make it with the big screen?

3. My concerns are:

a. Excessive heat,
    b. Noise from the fan,
    c. Impact of the heat on the screen?

Note, that I will be using it mainly for xCode, Movies, Youtube, Web Browsing.

4. I was wondering, if anyone is using clam shell mode here, what are the experiences etc.

Thanks for Responses.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

1. I've long used clamshell mode on my MBPs and its only increased the temps a tiny bit, so much so that I'm not worried.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by make it with the big screen? Do you mean drive an the external monitor? Yeah it should.

3. As I mentioned, heat is not an issue, fan noise is subjective, but my fans are not running faster in clamshell mode and it will not impact the screen what so ever.

3. Aster007 thread starter macrumors newbie

with big screen I meant that 29 inch screen from dell (29" Dell U2913WM UltraSharp)

thanks

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I don't know about your 2008 MBP, but the 2013 MacBook Air can definitely support the Dell Ultrawide. The U2913WM' resolution is 2560 x 1080. The 2013 MacBook can officially support resolutions up to 2560 x 1600.

I use clamshell mode frequently on my MacBook Air (also a 2013), for many of the same tasks you use your mac for, and haven't had any problems with it.