MBP/MBA instead of iMac/MBA combo

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Maven1975, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Looking for suggestions.

I just purchased a 3.4 iMac from Apple's refurb store, but I found a local seller looking to sell me a new 15" 2.3 Antiglare, 8GB with SSD for $500 less than I paid for the iMac.

This would be nice to pocket the $500. While the extra speed and screen size of the iMac is nice, I could move a MBP anytime I wanted and do heavy work on the go.

iTunes is the main reason I am having reservations about this setup. I need something to serve the media for the kids Apple TV. How could I get around this? I was thinking of a cheap Mac Mini, but there has to be a better solution.

I like the idea of the powerhouse portable because I have little ones that think every things a touchscreen. :p (I could hide it or move it to a safer location while not able to monitor the area)

2. joshuaginter macrumors regular

I personally think a MBP/MBA combo is brilliant. I think it would be great for students (although most could never afford it) who live at a dorm and then return to their parents home for the summer, or even for a weekend, but need a small computer to carry to class. I am sure there are a bunch of other situations where this combo would work great. Especially if you have a good monitor for your 15"/17" MBP (I assume nobody would have a 13" MBP/MBA combo).

As far as your situation goes, I would encourage you to grab the 15" Pro, especially if the added performance of the iMac isn't necessary for what you need. The freedom of being able to carry your main computer around may come in very handy and the extra $500 in your pocket can buy a lot of handy accessories or a pretty decent display.