MBP & MBPr lap heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mankar4, Aug 16, 2012.

1. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Hey guys,
    I currently have a 15" MBP and it gets too hot to keep in my lap comfortably. I'm wondering if those of you with MBP retinas and 13" MBPs have the same problem? Trying to decide on my next computer!
    Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is true for all Mac portables:

Apple Portables: Operating temperature

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I find my rMBP gets considerably warmer to the touch than my old air did. Not too surprising considering the extra power and massive battery though. I think the CPU actually runs cooler though - so the warm bottom is basically a sign of the heatsink being quite effective.

4. mankar4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Well, my wife's MBA never gets too hot for a lap, no matter what we do with it.

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

My Retina gets warm but not too hot playing games or doing video conversions. The highest temperature reported by istat is about 72C

6. mankar4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Is that CPU temperature?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Usually, the CPU and GPU are the two primary furnaces, with temps higher than any other component.

8. Aodhan macrumors regular

I think laptop is kind of a misnomer. Notebook is a better term, because it sets more realistic expectations. Pretty much any notebook computer, including the Retina, is going to roast your giggleberries if you use it on your lap. They have pads you can use to protect yourself from heat injury, I know I use one (actually it's a cutting board).

9. flipnap macrumors 6502

my rmbp runs a lot cooler than my classic did. of course if you crank it they all get hot. but basic surfing and file maint. i can rest it on my lap and is only slightly warm, where the same activites would heat up my classic.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I can use my late 2011 comfortably on my lap, but just for browsing and light app use. For anything heavy like gaming it's on my coffee table.

11. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

I could literally fry some eggs on my Macbook if I really wanted to. It's become a bit annoying, but I'm learning to have to compromise with such a beautiful machine. I think the design of the vents is pretty crappy if you ask me, but at least the machine looks like a solid piece of art work. I guess there has to be some sort of compromise.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

my early 2011 is fine for browsing on my lap but im usually wearing jeans not sure how it would feel if i was wearing silk pants

13. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

My 2012 13'' MBP runs surprisingly cool, even when doing more than just web browsing. Never hear the fan, either. I've never gotten it to being uncomfortably warm on my lap, and I've had it there for a few hours on occasion.

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I use an XPad. It's one of those products that's almost too good to be true.

Simple, high quality, silver to match, inexpensive & ultralight.

Not only does it allow good air circulation, but the grippy non-skid bottom makes using your Mac in your lap, or other uneven surface a breeze.

http://www.xpad4laptop.com/

15. tillsbury macrumors 65816

It does seem like the Retina runs a lot cooler than MBP's. I use this on my lap on the couch for hours at a time, every evening. Sure is nice and toasty when running games, but not painfully so. Rest of the time it's just warm.

16. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

You will also find this on high performing PCs. If you run demanding programs on any computer it will heat up. Desktops you don't notice it as much because it is not sitting on your lap.

17. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

I had a core 2 duo 15" MBP that scorched my legs and my new 13" ivy bridge i5 runs substantially cooler.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah my rMBP gets quite toasty on my lap. I've not found it unbearably hot but then I don't play games or use it for intensive processing when its on my lap. That is, its hard to do photoshop on my lap ;)

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You photoshopped your lap? Please don't show us! :D

20. mankar4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Does anyone's MBA ever get too hot for their lap, even while running flash or photoshop or gaming?

21. TLewis macrumors 65816

You really need to ask this in the MBA forum. IIRC, the 11" MBA can get noticeably hotter than the 13" MBA.

22. mankar4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mankar4

good point

23. brand macrumors 601

brand

Your using it wrong. Apple does not sell laptops.

24. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

I'd rather not see it.

Probably would burn a hole through them :eek: I'm a girl who lives in jeans and hardly ever wears skirts. Probably just as well, as I'd say using the MacBook on my lap while wearing one might burn my lap.