MBP medio 2010 with SSD: should I enable TRIM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DennisMadsen, Oct 8, 2011.

1. DennisMadsen macrumors regular

Yesterday I installed a Crucial M4 128GB SSD in my MBP 13" medio 2010 with SATAII. I'm running Lion. Should I enable TRIM support or not? If yes, please provide me with a tutorial for my system.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There have been reports of it causing issues so personally I wouldn't.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If your SSD is has a sandforce controller, or another type that does its own garbage collection, I wouldn't. I have a 2010 MBP with an intel SSD and I have it enabled without any problems. In fact the more you use the SSD, the slower the SSD will get w/o TRIMm so for me it was a no brainer

4. DennisMadsen thread starter macrumors regular

Then my question is; does my Crucial M4 have its own garbage collection?

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Yes...

And here is the one I recommend for Lion..

Attached Files:

6. DennisMadsen thread starter macrumors regular

What are the pros and cons of installing TRIM support?

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

With some SSDs + Firmwares it is said to be buggy. Instability or just very poor performance.
    You can undo the patch easily so maybe just try it a month without a month with and chances are you won't notice a difference.
    Without Trim only write speed gets slower over time but it really isn't all that bad and with the GC of most drives you never notice it. Read performance should be affected either way unless your SSD doesn't like Apples trim and acts buggy.

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

That is not the trim enabler from Groths...It will cause none of the bad stuff the Groths does with lion..Groths is better now in 10.6.8 I'm using it now though when I first tried it I was less than impressed.

As far as the why and should..for why, google will be a better resource than I'll ever be...for should you'll make that call after you read about trim.

9. DennisMadsen thread starter macrumors regular

I've downloaded "Blackmagic Disk Speed Test" free from the App Store. It says that my write is 158MB/s and read is 225MB/s. Is that normal with a SSD on SATAII?

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Probably, My Apple SSD in my iMac 27 is about that.

The benefit of SSD is not sustained read/write speeds - it is random access speeds thanks to not having a physical head to position over a physical platter.

11. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Nope. That test has been found to be a faulty build. Get the Aja System Test instead. You should be close to saturating the bus on SATAII. More like 250-270MB/s.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13509422&highlight=#post13509422

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews...3-ssd-review-power-without-all-that-capacity/

12. DennisMadsen thread starter macrumors regular

13. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Sorry, You may be right. I am 10.6.8. I did not test on 10.7.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It worked for me, but it launched in the background. I didn't see the window until I Mission Controlled it.