MBP memory upgrade problem-yellow backgrounds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lmws, Aug 11, 2013.

1. lmws macrumors newbie

I have a 15 inch mid 2010 Macbook Pro, 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5. I ran the Crucial System Scanner. Ordered and installed Part # CT3309362. Macbook Pro recognizes the 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, but portions of the screen on the Mac are yellow. For example, the background of every other line of the Activity Monitor is yellow. In Apple mail, messages have yellow backgrounds. Mailboxes panel is normal. The background in TextEdit is yellow. The ruler at the top is normal.

Reinstalled original 4GB memory. Screen display was normal. Returned and reinstalled replacement memory. Screen displayed yellow areas for a minute and then turned normal. A week later the screen suddenly displayed the same yellow areas. I reset the computer's PRAM...still yellow areas. An external monitor's display in normal. The MacBook Pro recognizes and uses the 8 GB memory. The memory upgrade is great except for the yellow which makes viewing the MaBook's screen difficult.

The MBP has not moved since installing the memory. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

2. Lord Xeb macrumors member

I am suspecting you got bad memory. RMA it and get replacement ram.

3. lmws thread starter macrumors newbie

RMA'd once already

Does seem to be bad memory. However, I RMA'd the first memory kit and installed a second kit from Crucial. I have the yellow background problem with the second kit. Should I try again with Crucial, purchase from someone else or just stick with the original 4 GB...or is there something else I could try?