MBP Memory Upgrade question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Synergie, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Synergie, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

Synergie macrumors 6502a

Do I need to buy memory from the Apple store? 2x4GB cost 400.00?? I found Kingston memory with the exact same specs for 65.00 USD!!! And it says it's compatible with MBP!

If I use non apple memory will my laptop explode on me or something??

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

3. DennyMac macrumors newbie

4. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty much same price.... I think I read on here somewhere that Apple actually uses Kingston anyway... so I will probably go with that one from Amazon.ca Plus with Amazon.ca I don't have to worry about customs. OWC is American is it not? I always worry about duty getting tacked on to things I order from the US! :(

Now to figure out if changing RAM on a MBP is as easy as changing it on PC laptops. I've done it on a PC laptop before... it was piece of cake. Then again, there was a special door you could unscrew... how much of a pain is it unscrewing the entire bottom of my MBP... or more specifically, how hard is it to get it screwed back on?? Changing the actual RAM I assume should be same as I did before on the PC laptop... two little clips holding it into the slot....

5. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

It's very easy. Just unscrew about 8 screws I think, and the cover comes right off. Make sure to touch something metal first though so as to eliminate static charge before you change RAM. Once the cover is removed, you will see the battery, a few other things and at the bottom, both RAM sticks.

Just to clarify, when you are ready to put the new sticks in, you have to sort of slide them in their slot first and then push down slightly for them to fit in place. Might seem odd or even scary (thought of broken sticks :p) but ya, it's done that way.

Really straightforward. There are a lot of youtube videos on this but I personally find it a waste of time to watch - they take 15min to explain a 5 min procedure!

Good luck!

6. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm does that mean the battery will be easy to change on my own too? Mine's perfectly fine right now still getting over 6 hrs on almost full screen brightness, but just thinking down the road... LOL

7. DennyMac macrumors newbie

Swapping out the memory is simple. It takes longer to remove the 10 screws that attach the back cover than it takes to change the memory. It took me about 10 minutes to change both the hard drive and the memory. I installed an OCZ Vertex III SSD and the 8GB memory at the same time and both were very simple upgrades.

8. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Nope, don't touch it. It's not user replaceable since a few years back. You will have to have it replaced by an Apple Store if it ever goes bad as well. It voids the warranty, I believe, to even take it off the machine. Stay away! :p

9. jdmmike macrumors newbie