MBP Memory Upgrade: Shouldered Philips Screws Locations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cazzette, Feb 1, 2013.

1. cazzette, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

cazzette macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I upgraded my memory on my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, I lost the positions of where each screw went.

[​IMG]

According to this guide, these are the following screws:

Three 14.4 mm Phillips screws
    Three 3.5 mm Phillips screws
    Four 3.5 mm shouldered Phillips screws

However, on my MacBook Pro, I have the following screws:

Three 14.4 mm Phillips screws
    FOUR 3.5 mm Phillips screws
    THREE 3.5 mm shouldered Phillips screws

So can someone with a '12 MBP confirm/verify where the 3.5 mm regular and shouldered Philips screws should go? I swear I count three regular screws and four shouldered ones. Everything screws together properly and booted up fine. I imagine with Apple's super close tolerances, I like to use the right screw in the right location.

2. cazzette, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

cazzette thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I had no idea there was a difference between the small screws - what is a shouldered screw?

4. cazzette thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm at work right now. I'll take a picture of them when I get home.

5. robvas macrumors 68020

Protip: Keep the screws in their holes, lift the whole bottom panel off and set it on top of something (in the middle) with the screws still in it.

6. Brettka7 macrumors regular

I can confirm your screws are incorrect. I can also confirm most Apple repair employees don't care what goes where, and most previously-repaired MBPs are mixed up. Just get a set of new screws for $6 on Amazon and put the correct screws in the correct places.

7. cazzette, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

cazzette thread starter macrumors newbie

I put it neatly (in relative location) on a plate. Unfortunately, when I was trying to figure out why I had the wrong amount of regular vs. shouldered screws, I lost note of where each screw went because I was picking them up and inspecting them. :(

But thanks!

Ok, found it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Repa...1359750300&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+pro+screws

Any chance you know if they come with the shouldered screws? Description says, "3 x long & 7 x short screw".