MBP mic Input

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sebastian79, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Sebastian79 macrumors regular

Sebastian79

Can the MBP headphone input be used for mic input?
    Tnx!

2. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

It should, technically it is a stereo headphone OUTPUT and mic INPUT. You need a 4-pin plug to take full advantage of it. If you use a regular TRS or TTRS (2 or 3-pin) plugs, then chances are, it won't work because it is not making proper contact with the pins. You can get a cheap converter to be sure, if your mic does not work by itself. It also depends on the type of microphone. Some requires phantom power. Those ones won't work without some kind of a converter/adapter device that also injects power.

3. Sebastian79 thread starter macrumors regular

Sebastian79

This is the mic: http://www.rode.com/microphones/videomicpro
    It doesn't require phantom power it is powered through the 9V batteries.

4. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

I think in theory it should work. You may need a 4-pin to 2x3-pin adapter, like this

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...pd_sim_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004SP0WAQ.

Seems cheap enough to warrant a try. I suspect your mic costs a lot more. I also don't know if the mic input on the Macbook is clean enough or has sufficient gain to do professional work. For that, you may want to invest in a USB audio interface that is intended for professional recording/monitoring/playback.

5. Sebastian79 thread starter macrumors regular

Sebastian79

thanks! I just need to use it to overdub or correct audio recorded with the same mic in videos.

6. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Cool. I hope it works out for you. Keep this thread updated once you try it out!