[MBP Mid 2007] Is my GeForce 8600M GT broken?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevenh, Oct 16, 2008.

1. stevenh macrumors newbie

Hi,

I guess we now all know that some GeForces in the MBP's show defects.
    What i am trying to find out is if mine is broken too. I have now encountered 3 occasions where the screen would not turn on when trying to resume from standby, and last night, this happened (also after waking the laptop):

[​IMG]

Does this mean my GPU is defect? I'm trying to find out this way first because if I send it in and it turns out to be nothing I will be charged since the warranty has run out and I didn't purchase applecare ( :( ).

Thanks in advance,
    Steven

2. Megatron macrumors regular

3. stevenh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i know, but if this is a software problem the warranty won't cover it. That's why i'm asking. I need to be sure before i send it in that this is a graphics cards problem.

Steven

4. easy-mac macrumors member

My MBP (late 2007) did that once a few months ago before I ever heard anything about the Nvidia defects and so far hasn't done it again since. Has this problem persisted for you? If it does I would definitely take it in to the Apple store and talk to a Genius, they might be able to tell you if it's the graphics card or some other problem. If you find out please post back here, I'd love to know why mine did that too.