MBP Mid 2009 - installing SSD and Dual drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitlander, Jul 27, 2012.

1. whitlander macrumors newbie

I use a macbook pro (mid 2009) for recording audio. I'm looking to replace the HD with a SSD and switch the optical drive for the HD. At some later stage, I'll replace the HD in the optical bay for another SSD.

In researching this, I came across issues with SATA speed, some suggesting to downgrade the EFI to bump the SATA speed up to SATA-II

I'm wondering if anyone here has performed this upgrade on a mid 2009? successfully or not.

Andy

2. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Retrostarscream

I have performed this modification to a mid 2010 MBP 13", successfully replacing the optical drive for an SSD and the keeping the OEM HDD in its original spot.

I too plan upgrading both drives to SSD at some point in the near future.

I looked into your mid 2009 MBP & it shares the same SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) connection as mine, so there is no need to do anything or downgrade as the connection is there standard.

My source link is here for stats on the mid 2009 13", 15", or 17"

Please bear in mind that your battery will take a hit as it will running dual hard drives which should make sense given the extra burden. It is a price to pay for performance and storage, but I feel it is a worthwhile venture when you take into account what your machine gains as a result.

3. whitlander thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the links and taking your time to look into that.

Battery life isn't really a concern. With the kind of work I do, The machine as sucks the battery dry in a few hours anyway.

Can I just ask if you run your OS from the SSD or HD? I'm guessing you are and that you left the HD where it is for the bay' motion sensitivity function.

4. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Retrostarscream

I run the OS from the SSD, & that is pretty much precisely why I left the HD in its original spot.

I wasn't sure if the optical bay came equipped with motion sensors but thought it'd be best not to take any chances in case it didn't. (if it ain't broke don't fix it, came to mind.) =P