MBP Mid 2009 RAID 0: What's your write & read speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zulhfreelancer, Mar 23, 2016.

1. zulhfreelancer macrumors newbie

zulhfreelancer

I have a MBP Mid 2009 model with this specs:

[​IMG]
    I'm planning to do RAID 0 (2x SSDs). Anyone has the same model with me and already on RAID 0 with 2x SSDs?

Would you mind sharing your write and read speed screenshots?

Thanks.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Which SATA revision is your optical bay? If SATA II, you should probably expect a little bit less than twice that bandwidth. 500-550 MB/sec area, I'd say.

3. zulhfreelancer thread starter macrumors newbie

zulhfreelancer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure. I've this.

4. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I just got a 2012 cMBP and was deciding whether to have one or two drives in my machine.

I'd like to know as well!

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- So then you have SATA II in both bays. The speeds I mentioned should be about right.

- That's a completely different matter. The 2012 model has stable SATA III connections in both bays. You should achieve close to 1 GB/sec sequential read and write with a current SSD.

6. treekram macrumors 6502a

My 2012 MBP (El Capitan) has 2 240GB 850 Evo's using Apple's RAID0. Using the Blackmagic test, the read is pretty consistent around 965MB/s. The writes can vary quite a bit anywhere from below 500 to sometimes peaking in the 900's. The highest score at the end is in the mid 850's, most often mid-high 600's is what I get.

If you're thinking of doing RAID0, be sure to read:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

I mentioned in another post that RAID0 helps a lot in one particular application I have (editing in a DVR program). Other than that, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between RAID0 or not. I thought there could be a major difference in some database processing that I do but that wasn't the case (but I didn't try to do any database tuning). No regrets here, though - the performance increase in that one application is enough for me to keep it as RAID0.

MacInTO, in another thread you mentioned you use a Corsair SSD. Which computer do you use it in?

7. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I use it in a 2011 13" i7 2.8 MBP. It's my media server. I don't need super fast speeds, but this is a good drive for the price.

8. treekram macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. We're trying to see if the Corsairs with Phison controllers work in the the pre-2011 Macs. Nice to know that it works for you.

9. alvesik macrumors member

alvesik

I had a mid 2009 2.26 ghz mbp with only one ssd but if you're interested, I have read speeds of about 260 mb/sec and write of 180 mb/sec.

10. zulhfreelancer thread starter macrumors newbie

zulhfreelancer

Thanks!