MBP mid 2009 Trackpad won't click

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amdtwig, Aug 4, 2013.

1. amdtwig macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2013
    Hi - I have a mid 2009 MBP 15in and its been great until now. The track pad still works by tapping and swiping but it has stopped 'clicking' - it wont right or left click. I've read this may be something to do with the battery swelling. If so, does anyone know if I can get this fixed by a 'genius' (same day) or does it mean that I need to get another laptop sorted. I'm not teckie (wouldnt take on replacing battery myself) and cant get an appointment for a few days. (Currently doing some urgent uni work so it is important that I can get this sorted very quickly) Thanks you for any advice received.
  2. ColdCase, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Feb 10, 2008
    If its the battery, just replacing the battery will fix.

Not sure, off hand, about the 2009, but my 2008 has trackpad adjustment/mounting screws accessible from the battery compartment. I loosened one up to fix my clicking issue.
  3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2011
    Southern Cal
  4. KCchiefin macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2013
    I'm having a similar issue with the trackpad and any externally connected mouse. However, I don't believe it's a swollen battery because the click works in Safe Mode. Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it? If I can avoid doing a full wipe and reinstall that would be great.