MBP mid 2009 Trackpad won't click

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amdtwig, Aug 4, 2013.

1. amdtwig macrumors newbie

Hi - I have a mid 2009 MBP 15in and its been great until now. The track pad still works by tapping and swiping but it has stopped 'clicking' - it wont right or left click. I've read this may be something to do with the battery swelling. If so, does anyone know if I can get this fixed by a 'genius' (same day) or does it mean that I need to get another laptop sorted. I'm not teckie (wouldnt take on replacing battery myself) and cant get an appointment for a few days. (Currently doing some urgent uni work so it is important that I can get this sorted very quickly) Thanks you for any advice received.

2. ColdCase, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

If its the battery, just replacing the battery will fix.

Not sure, off hand, about the 2009, but my 2008 has trackpad adjustment/mounting screws accessible from the battery compartment. I loosened one up to fix my clicking issue.

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

4. KCchiefin macrumors newbie

I'm having a similar issue with the trackpad and any externally connected mouse. However, I don't believe it's a swollen battery because the click works in Safe Mode. Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it? If I can avoid doing a full wipe and reinstall that would be great.