Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rigm0r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Hi!
I'm considering buying 8gb RAM for my MBP mid-2010 (upgrade from 4gb standard setup). Would that give me a noticable performance boost while gaming? I've seen those YouTube videos where they prove that the VRAM will increase to 512mb. That might just be numbers though.

Regards

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Hi!
I'm considering buying 8gb RAM for my MBP mid-2010 (upgrade from 4gb standard setup). Would that give me a noticable performance boost while gaming? I've seen those YouTube videos where they prove that the VRAM will increase to 512mb. That might just be numbers though.

Regards

Depending on which model, it may increase power, but minimally. My vram for my hd 3000 in my i7 went from 384 to 512 when I increased the ram to 8gb. I also threw in the 1866 mhz which works flawlessly.

As for upgrading the ram, its like $30-40 nowadays from newegg and that alone is worth the upgrade.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
It only changes the VRAM on the HD3000, the 320M will reamin at 256MB; but people make a much bigger deal about the whole increase in RAM thing than it really is, more or less it doesn't matter that the minimum amount changed.

But it's only $40, there's really no reason not to do it; it can't hurt anything.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Depending on which model, it may increase power, but minimally. My vram for my hd 3000 in my i7 went from 384 to 512 when I increased the ram to 8gb. I also threw in the 1866 mhz which works flawlessly.

As for upgrading the ram, its like $30-40 nowadays from newegg and that alone is worth the upgrade.

That doesn't mean anything though. The higher shared memory does NOT improve performance. You get the same gaming performance with 8 as you do with 6 as you do with 4.

Common misconception.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
well it could potentially raise performance IF vram was actually the bottleneck of the Intel 3000 video card. Unfortunately, it is very likely to hit its limitations before vram becomes an issue for most uses.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
No gaming boost, as others have said the graphics adapter is the bottleneck. Even if it increases vram, intel graphics are slow. On my PCs, when I increase the intel graphics shared vram in the bios, it doesn't increase performance.

But I'd get the 8GB anyway. It's nice to be able to run all my apps at the same time and not have the system slow down. :)

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
That doesn't mean anything though. The higher shared memory does NOT improve performance. You get the same gaming performance with 8 as you do with 6 as you do with 4.

Common misconception.

Well if you read it correctly, I said it MAY increase performance. Also increasing the vram in some instances, will increase performance, such as a game with higher resolution textures.

Common misunderstanding when you cannot read correctly.

Wattser93

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
The way I understand it, VRAM increases performance when running games at very high res, and clock speeds increase performance across the board.

There was a SC2 benchmark done where the increasing the VRAM from 256mb to 512mb only made a difference at 2560x1700 resolutions, and at 1920x1200 the difference was 1fps or less between them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.