MBP mid-2010 DDR1066 or 1333?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xanotos75, Dec 28, 2011.

1. xanotos75 macrumors newbie

Hi all. I bought 8gigs or DDR3-1333 ram ($20 after rebate) and was about to put it in because I still have the mentality from PC computers not having problem with using different speed and down clocking the ram, and noticed post on here on people stating to stick with DDR3 8500 because it is what Apple states should be used on the MacBook Pro.
    I wouldn't care what apple says, but then read that some people have had problems with the higher speed ram causing errors because the memory speed control is on the processor instead of a controller.

Now, these postings are somewhat old, and someone out there must have put the higher ram on their computers since then with no problem

Does anyone have any info on this?

It's a shame that it will cost me $20 more to get the "correct" ram. :(

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I used 1333 in my mid 2010 with no issues. It of coursed down clocked it to 1067, but I had no issues.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

People here have all sorts of problems, including problems with the correct RAM. It won't hurt your machine, so you might as well give those RAM sticks a try. If you experience unexpected shutdowns or kernel panics, then you should probably buy the correct RAM.