MBP Mid 2010 doesn't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JelmerHT, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JelmerHT macrumors newbie

Hello,

Yesterday evening I turned my MBP off like usual. But this morning when I tried to boot, there was no "Boing" and it shut down immediatly. I only saw the apple logo and a flickering load bar under it.

After some research I resetted my PRAM and then I got the Boing again, but still no boot..

Then I tried a Safe boot(shift) but this didn't work either so I tried a Single User boot. This worked but there isn't much I can do there. It pauses at "Waiting for window server before finishing bluetooth setup" and then I get "Single user boot -- fsck not done" and "Root device is mounted Read Only".

Further it says to exit if I want to boot, but when I do it doesn't boot ofcourse..

I have a 15" 2.4ghz MBP Mid 2010 with 8GB Ram and a Kingston V100 SSD. The SSD is in for about a month and the Ram for about 6 months. Problems started when I started to use the Windows partition on my bootcamp, I already had to reinstall once cause windows made my Mac partition unreadable..

Is there anything else I can try before returning my MBP?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Reinstalling is the last option! Here is my post from a similar thread:

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Reinstalling OS X takes about 30 mins and won't erase any data...

5. JelmerHT, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

JelmerHT thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd like to find out what the problem is first before reinstalling.

When I try this:

4. Hardware test [7]. Insert the install disk (disk 1 in Mac which shipped with OS X 10.5.4 or earlier, disk 2 if shipped with OS X 10.5.5 or newer) and hold down "D" before the grey boot screen opens. Follow on screen instructions

it fails, I'm not getting anything, just the logo and flickering load bar, then it shuts of again..

Ok, I went to Disk utility with my install cd and this is what I'm getting when I do Verify Disk:

When I hit repair, it says it can't repair the disk and that I need to backup as many files as I can etc. I had the same kind of problem earlier when I rebooted from my windows partition, but this time it's just after shutting down from Mac OS X..

I wonder if this could be a SSD problem? With the TRIM issues that OS X has. I'm reinstalling SL right now and I've deleted Windows since I never had problems before I installed that(Installed it together with the SSD)

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I would bet money on an SSD failure based on your description.
    I have (had) the same drive, which just crapped out on me in much the same way.

Fortunately I still had my original HDD with OSX on it, popped it back in and it boots fine.
    I also have an 8GB memory upgrade, which I swapped out to rule it out, and that is not the problem.

I am a long way from happy about the current state of SSD`s, particularly when fitted to Macs.
    I am now returning to my (vastly more reliable) HDD for at least until we can get single cell memory SSD`s at a sensible price, these current multi-cell drives seem to be a disaster waiting to happen at the moment.

7. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Rebuilding the HFS+ partition data takes 2 minutes. And about 2 minutes to boot the HDD...

This is not an SSD error. This is just HFS partition node structure gone corrupt! I get those about once every three months... And I have never reinstalled Mac OS, Tech Tool Pro and DiskWarrior saved me 90% of the time...

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In your previous post you said it takes 3-4 hours...

That is just one option. Could as well be a failed SSD.

And those apps cost 200$ more than the install discs of OS X, which are distributed with every Mac...

9. DivineEvil macrumors regular

It takes about 5 minutes after I have setup everything... Now I have the backup partition on an external drive, from which I boot Mac OS. Run the programs and restart and boot in my original drive.
    And those programs can be downloaded for free from somewhere on the internet if you know where to search! :)

10. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

OP, I would strongly recommend putting your original HDD back in and booting OSX from there, very good chance it`ll boot normally.
    I am 95% sure you are looking at a dead SSD controller chip, hardly uncommon, paricularly on these cheaper Kingston drives.

11. JelmerHT thread starter macrumors newbie

I've reinstalled OS X and I've deleted Windows from my SSD too. I've also let around 20gb of "free space" on my SSD.

If it's a dead SSD Controller, would I still be able to install OS X on it and run it like previously? If so, I'd probably be able to get a new one since it's only 1 month old.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If the controller was dead, you wouldn't be able to do anything for the drive. Looks like there was a corrupted system file or something wrong with the file system. Good that it's running now

13. sydenham macrumors regular

What firmware is the computer running. Could be the 2009 SATA bug where the computers don't like 3rd party drives...

14. JelmerHT thread starter macrumors newbie

If what I think is what you mean:

Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
    SMC Version (system): 1.58f16