Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfs'up

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Hey guys,
sinca a couple of weeks, my MBP 13" Mid 2010 freezes randomly while usinig Safari/Firefox to watch online movies e.g. Youtube.
Sometimes another freeze appears. After waking the MBP up from sleep-mode the loginscreen pops up, I can enter my Passwort but nothing happens and the MBP freezes. I can close the MBP open it again - Logininformation gone I can type it in again - same freeze and I have to manually shut down the MBP.

Techtool Pro says everything is alright. The S.M.A.R.T. parameters of the HDD and SSD are fine. The HDD (Seagate SSHD 1TB) sits in the usual place and the SSD (Samsung Evo 840 250GB) sits in an optibay. The user folder has been moved to the HDD, so that only OSX and all apps are running on the SSD.
The freezes showed up before I started using an opti-bay, so that should not be the reason.

Has anyone an idea what I can do about it?

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry my english I'm not a native speaker;)

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
Hey guys,
sinca a couple of weeks, my MBP 13" Mid 2010 freezes randomly while usinig Safari/Firefox to watch online movies e.g. Youtube.
Sometimes another freeze appears. After waking the MBP up from sleep-mode the loginscreen pops up, I can enter my Passwort but nothing happens and the MBP freezes. I can close the MBP open it again - Logininformation gone I can type it in again - same freeze and I have to manually shut down the MBP.

Techtool Pro says everything is alright. The S.M.A.R.T. parameters of the HDD and SSD are fine. The HDD (Seagate SSHD 1TB) sits in the usual place and the SSD (Samsung Evo 840 250GB) sits in an optibay. The user folder has been moved to the HDD, so that only OSX and all apps are running on the SSD.
The freezes showed up before I started using an opti-bay, so that should not be the reason.

Has anyone an idea what I can do about it?

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry my english I'm not a native speaker;)

Hi,

You said that the freezes were occurring before you installed the optibay; were you using the same SSD? If not, did you clone your original HDD onto the SSD?

If yes to either, it might possibly be a software issue. The cleanest solution would be a full reformat and reinstallation of the OS.

If no to both, it's a hardware problem (most likely the NVidia GT 320M chipset).

Raptor

Surfs'up

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Well... the HDD that was originally built in had a hardware failure after almost 4 years of use. I then bought the SSD and performed a clean install of Mavericks and imigrated all my data from my external HDDs. The freezes happend with so SSD before so Optibay. After like 4 weeks I've put in the optibay.
You think a clean reinstall (I use a timecapsule) would help, as the problem occured after a clean install on the SSD?
How can I check if there's a problem with the Nvidia chipset?

Thanks for your answer & help:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.