MBP mid 2010 i7 Flash+Intel HD Graphics= SAD !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peace4al, Nov 20, 2010.

1. peace4al macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I own a 17" macbook pro i7. I have noticed a very buggy sound from the top left corner of my MBP. It sounds like the HDD rotating but when observed carefully, its a some mechanical sound from the logic board (left hand top corner). The sound is comparatively lesser when I switch to 330m gpu using gfxCardStatus.

I want to know if this is an issue only with my machine or it a common problem found on the this series of MBP ? Should I contact Apple for a repair or its a normal behavior of Flash on osX ?

2. Chimera-se macrumors member

There is a similar sound coming from mine too, but I'm not real worried about it. It just sounds like a "processing" sound. If you're not having any performance issues, don't worry about it.

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

It's more than likely the fan. That's one of the locations of it. Download smcfancontrol from http://www.eidac.de/?p=134 and play around with the fan speeds to see if that's what it is. Personally, I barely hear any noise from my MBP unless I crank the fans to 11. If it concerns you, contact Apple and see what they say.

4. peace4al, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

peace4al thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for replying guys !

This glitch of downgraded intel hd graphics is present on all MBP's I guess. It sound as if the weak GPU might die any time. On top of that, osX's performance with Flash just sucks.
    Was just worried about the long term effect of this.
    I just found out a solution to make the operation smooth.
    Uninstalled the 10.1(current) version from here and installed the older version of Flash form here
    to version 10.0.45.2

Basically, this disabled the hardware acceleration and now I do not hear any "mechanical processing" sound from the left top corner. :D

Its definitely not the Fans cranking up my friend. Its a glitch of the intel GPU the causes a processing sound which can be heard when you watch flash content. It is noticeably if you watch YouTube videos in full-screen, muting the audio.
    Try doing it making sure that Intel GPU is being in use.

5. Chimera-se macrumors member

This glitch of downgraded intel hd graphics is present on all MBP's I guess. It sound as if the weak GPU might die any time. On top of that, osX's performance with Flash just sucks.
    Was just worried about the long term effect of this.
    I just found out a solution to make the operation smooth.
    Uninstalled the 10.1(current) version from here and installed the older version of Flash form here
    to version 10.0.45.2

Basically, this disabled the hardware acceleration and now I do not hear any "mechanical processing" sound from the left top corner.

I did what you said and watched a couple of Youtube vids in full HD, full screen...muted, of course...and I'm not getting any sound. I'll keep an eye out for it (or ear, rather) but honestly I just hear regular "computer" sounds. Maybe I just don't know what I'm listening for :confused: