MBP(mid-2010, i7) WoW. Do i need bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddany, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ddany macrumors member

Hey
    I have just bought this macbook pro,and i would like to play wow.
    I heard that the performance is better if you use bootcamp ,but is it a huge difference?

I can use windows,but if wow runs on mac os,then i would not like to use bootcamp. I do not really need Ultra settings,but I would like to go for good/high with 45+ fps.

Another question. I read about GPU overclocking... Is it only available when you use Boot Camp?

Thanks!

2. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

I haven't played wow on mine, but I would guess based on past experience it will be fine. You might possibly have issues with high congestion areas and you will most certainly have issues with heat after a while. Tis why I don't game on laptops.

3. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I have the same MBP and play WoW on it in a pinch.

Honestly you are better off running it in BootCamp. I am always disappointed when I try to play WoW on this thing and end up pulling out my Alienware.

I have it on the lowest graphics settings and it still gets super super hot and just feels buggy compared to a Windows Machine.

But it will work. Like the other guy said, if you are planning on going into like Stormwind or Orgrimmar be prepared for some slow FPS.

4. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Unless you are after every possible FPS you will be most likely satisfied with the OS X version of WoW.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

OS X will give you 45+ FPS that you want. No need to use Bootcamp. I have the late-2008 MacBook Pro and WoW runs with no problems.

6. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

are you guys serious? lag in stormwind and org? i was playing wow on my PPC g5 up until about a month ago when blizz discontinued support and i never had any problems unless i was in northrend. that's a dual 2.0ghz machine with an ati radeon 9600 xt and only 3 gigs of ddr sdram.

i've seen youtube vids of people running around in dalaran at 30+ fps at ultra settings using a macbook pro, so what is the deal? it would seem to me like you might have a defective machine if you're having issues running wow (of all games!) on an i7.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It's not that it's an i7, it's just the games , in many cases, are better optimized on Windows, you can get drivers directly from nvidia/ati themselves if you are so inclined, and you can overclock your hardware back to reference specs (Apple underclocks their GPUs at the factory for battery concerns).