MBP mid-2010 LCD replacement service - help please.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ihonda, Jun 12, 2010.

1. ihonda macrumors 68000

hey, ive got a 13.3 mbp mid-2010 with some dead pixels, apples willing to do nothing so im going to pay to have it replaced, i dont want to do it myself id rather a company do it so that theyd be responsible for any damage that could happen.

can you guys recommend some? macreboot is charging around $270.00 for a AUO screen+install.

i only need the LCD replaced, not the glass

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

How old is it and how many dead pixels do you have?

3. cg0def macrumors regular

You should go to a different Apple Store or even try to talk to the tech support over the phone. If you have just one or 2 pixels Apple wouldn't really be willing to replace the screen and neither should you. A single pixel is hardly worth the cost. However, in some cases (such as mine) more pixel would get stuck over time and then Apple will replace the screen for free. Also the call-in centers seem to be a bit more willing to repair products but you should know that you will be without a computer for a while. Depending on where you live call-in quality varies a lot.

4. ihonda thread starter macrumors 68000

its 2 dead pixels, apple wont replace it just for 2, they are driving me nuts so i want the screen replaced. i cant return the laptop bc it wasnt bought from apple.

all i need to know is does anyone know some good repair places who are reasonable

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Try techrestore.com or are you looking locally??

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The thing is the unibody Macbook Pro's LCD is built into the screen bezel so you can't just swap out the LCD, according to Apple. The whole part has to be replaced. It's up to you but is it really worth paying for? You'd probably do better selling it on Ebay and just buying a new one or just live with the pixels.

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

a) remove glass

b) remove LCD

c) clean assembly & glass

d) put new adhesive on

e) put new screen on

f) put glass back on

g) enjoy new macbook

the hard part is not getting dust inbetween the glass and the LCD. Some places around here do it in a regular office environment and get a bunch of **** inbetween the glass and the lcd, others do it in rooms with treatment in them to keep particles away. Call up whoever you get to do it and ask what they do to keep the dust from getting inbetween the glass and the LCD when they put it back on. I had to buy half a dozen air filters for a small room or else I was spending an hour removing dust specs with a CD wipe, which is no fun.

The other hard part is not cracking the glass. most people pull with their wrist, not with their arm. When you pull with your wrist, you are pushing down on one portion and up on the other, which bends the glass and cracks it.