MBP mid 2010 (Need advice)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Perplexe, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Perplexe, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

Perplexe macrumors newbie

Hi Macrumors!
    It's been a long time since my last visit, since, i've been quite happy with my computer. But now, new problems have arisen. I use my macbook pro for everything, it's an editing laptop, it's my desktop and it is also my gaming rig. It is in the last discipline that I have problems. I am a Starcraft II enthusiast and to get better performances, I run it under bootcamp (windows7). Recently, the MBP gets so hot that .... it simply shuts down. (That is with all the game settings to low).

Furthermore, when I watch streams, the computer lags and the video and sound stutters. Which didn't happen before. (I actually have a great internet connection but for streams (Even at 480p) i can't get a clear image for long.

Here are my specs:

MBP 15 inch, mid 2010
    2.66 core i7
    4 gb 1067 ddr3
    Nvidia Geforce Gt 330M 512 MB
    Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

I do have applecare, although I am reluctant do hand in my mbp, thus loosing it for a few weeks. Do you have any suggestions on what i should do?

2. /user/me macrumors 6502

Depending on what they do with it, you might only be apart from it for a couple hours.

3. Perplexe thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm actually wondering if any of that is normal... Furthermore, when i plug in a second display, I can't do anything without the computer having trouble...

4. Kiriga, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

Kiriga macrumors newbie

Kiriga

I believe the overheating issues are caused by the dried (and the more than necessary) thermal paste and/or dust gathered on your heatsink, blocking the hot air. I would suggest opening the machine, cleaning it and applying new thermal paste, but that would void your warranty... Take it to the Apple Store.

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I also agree, you should take it to apple for service, it shouldn't be getting that hot that it shuts down. Plus if you bought apple care this is exactly what its for, after all they may not have to send it out for repair depending what the issue is.

6. hajime macrumors 68030

If you allow Apple to have a look first, they will be able to tell you how long it would take to repair the computer.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Is this an issue in both OSX and Win7? If it is then there's probably nothing you can do - take it to the Apple store.

8. syg macrumors newbie

9. Eithanius macrumors 65816

The last time I tried that, Quick Look Helper springs back to life by itself... I hate Lion so much for a piece of ****** OS that I ditched it in favor of SL...

My guess is, OP has 2 options...

1. Upgrade RAM to 8GB, and HDD to SSD. Lion would love both.

2. Downgrade to Snow Leopard...

10. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I second the suggestion to re-apply the thermal paste (to both the CPU and GPU), a good cleaning of the fans with compressed air is a good idea as well.

If you've got the extended warranty, take it to Apple and ask if they can do it for you.