MBP mid 2010 on refurbished site

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Mar 25, 2011.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I am a light user with my computer. I do not game, and I do small aperture tasks and photoshop and watch some movies. I mostly use word, excel, entourage or exchange, itunes, amsn and skype.

I wanted to buy a new 2011 model with AG...the 15 inch because I really like the HD screen, and I hate glossy, so it's out of the question even though it has cheaper refurbs.

Anyways, on the refurbished site, there is a 15 inch AG glare 2.53mhz i5 MBP, 500gb hard drive, 4gb of memory, etc. for 1619 (cdn funds) or 1850 with tax which is equivalent for the new 2011 mbp base model + AG (2134 with tax cause of student discount) without tax. Is this too expensive?

I would probably use the saved up money to put an SSD in the computer in a few months when lion goes out i guess.

Or should I just wait for 2011 refurbs that are going to be the same price or they are never going to be that low with AG ?

Is it true that the 2010 is cooler, fans dont go crazy that fast and battery lasts longer when surfing the web (you can use chrome etc.)

thanks for your input

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't know; is it too expensive for you? You're the one buying it, you should be able to make that call yourself.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Once a line of Mac's enter the refurb store, they typically are reduced in price by the same amount as the previous line was. Usually you will get $150-$250 off depending on the product and options is has.

There is an issue with the 2011 MBP's experiencing heat issues and excessive CPU load and you can read more about it here:

2011 MacBook Pros Crashing Under Load?

You should get whatever your budget allows and makes you happy. If you wait for a 2011 refurb, it may be a while or not. The 2010 refurbs will likely do all that you can expect it to do and still be quite happy.

4. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

so to save $285 dollars and have the computer NOW, the mid 2010 seems nice?

I am just afraid of like 2 weeks after buying it, they will have 2011 refurbs for the same price..

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Is this a question or a statement?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want/need one now, buy it now and enjoy it. You're not going to gain a magnificent increase in anything with the 2011 over the 2010.

6. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

it's a question? would you buy the 2010 if you saved 285 dollars?

7. Derango macrumors regular

That issue wasn't affecting all users and it was also fixed in the latest OS X update.

To the OP: For your usage, save the money and go with the refub 2010. It'll be perfectly fine for you

8. SandboxGeneral, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Is this too a question or a statement? Your words indicate a statement, but your punctuation is that of a question. That's why I asked earlier and asked again on this one. No worries though. :)

Yes, I would.