MBP mid 2010 stuck at boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pilopew, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Pilopew macrumors member

Here's a pickle:

My MacBook Pro, mid 2010, entry model, running latest Snow Leopard (10.6.8), won't boot anymore. I've tried the following:
    - Boot normally: hangs at either grey or blue screen
    - Boot in safe mode: hangs when loading my desktop
    - Boot to BootCamp (Windows7): stuck on black screen
    - Boot from install CD: display seems broken, lines and pixels everywhere, weird colors everywhere, guessing its my SuperDrive that is near-dead
    - Boot from install USB: kernel panic
    - Boot in verbose mode: nothing exciting, but I have to admit I can't read that fast and I don't know what clues to look for
    - Resetting NVRAM didnt help
    - Boot in single user mode, run /sbin/usr/fsck -fy a few times until nothing was found anymore: still no dice when booting (not even in safe mode)

So the furthest I get in the boot process is when I boot in Safe Mode, where it'll get to loading my wallpaper, then getting stuck for I don't know how long. It's also excessively slow.

Kinda at the end of my Google fu here. Any other suggestions on what to try next? Don't have access to another ethernet Mac or I'd start my MBP up in target disk mode and try a Disk Utility repair from there. I've obviously worked through all the Apple support docs. Haven't installed AppleJack before, and now I can't install it anymore seeing I can't actually access the computer to have it install AppleJack. Unless I can install it via Single User mode? Haven't found anything on that though.

2. Serban Suspended

3. Pilopew thread starter macrumors member

nope, was kind of hoping someone off of these forums could help me?
    macbook is just sitting dead in my window still now, I really have no clue how I could fix it

4. Serban Suspended

5. Pilopew thread starter macrumors member

could be, but then I wonder why /sbin/usr fsck -fy didn't return any errors
    doesn't seem to be a permissions error
    Or do you mean the HDD is dead?

6. Serban Suspended

7. Pilopew thread starter macrumors member

I sadly don't have a spare HDD lying around with which I could try. I was hoping there was maybe more of a software kind of solution for this, once I hadnt found/considered yet.