MBP mid 2010 + Vertex 4 by OCZ

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crown16, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Crown16 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Just got myself a Vertex 4 on referral from a local computer shop. (maybe not so smart) Anyway I am not able to install Snow leopard on it (which the MBP was originally shipped with) I have tried:

- Retail DVD Holding down C/alt
    - 8GB USB stick with disk image of SL loaded by SuperDuper
    - 8GB USB stick with disk image of SL loaded with Disk utility
    - I have tried Internet (wifi/ethernet) Recovery of Mountain lion

Nothing has worked so far. Anybody see something that I messed up, would love to get this to work.

Background info on my MBP: Mid 2010 13'' 2.4ghz intel 2 core duo. Only upgrade I have done so far is Ram to 8gb.

2. simsaladimbamba

The Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD only contains drivers for 2009 and older Intel Macs, as 2010 Macs already came with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installed, thus the Upgrade DVD never got updated with more current drivers.

You could however use the grey Restore DVDs that came with your Mac, if you do not have them, call Apple and ask for Replacement Restore DVDs.

Or clone your existing Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard install on the old HDD to the new SSD.

3. Crown16 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol I spoke with 3 different people of Apple and they all told me the original snow leopard CD would be sufficient. Makes alot of sense though. Leopard 10.5 has all the basic software that snowleopard also needs, could i install 10.5 on a machine that was shipped with 10.6 cause I do have the original dvd for that

4. simsaladimbamba

As with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard not containing drivers for 2010 and newer Macs, the same principle can be applied to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard not containing drivers for late 2008, 2009, 2010 and newer Macs.

Do you not have the grey Restore DVDs anymore? What about cloning?

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If you really want to reinstall OS X from scratch, you will need this:

10.6.3 (Initial ship version) or ...
    10.6.4 (Later shipped version)

Build ID's: 10D2125, 10F2108

Got it from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159

Tip: Read the tips on that page.

If you don't have the original install discs that came with the system, you will need to contact Apple and order a replacement set.

6. Crown16 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, figured some stuff out. I = moutain lion from appstore on a different MBP. Right clicked -> show package contents -> shared support -> dragged Install ESD.dmg. That dmg I then used as source to restore a USB stick (8gb). The USB in my MBP and it works, it loads the ML menu and I install it after reformatting the SSD. loads then it restarts and starts installing but about halfway the hole operation just kind of freezes up.

I think there has been a corruption during transfer, gonna redo the process however try to use SuperDuper to create the bootable USB,

Any thoughts?

7. Crown16 thread starter macrumors regular

It worked